NT Rides First-Half Tallies To 2-0 Win Over McNeese State
Riley Records Third Straight Shutout As Soccer Cruises Past Cowgirls
-Vanessa Ibewuike gives her thoughts on Shelly Holt'sgoal, and the physical play.
DENTON, Texas - North Texas got a pair of first-half goals from unlikely sources and rode the momentum to a 2-0 win over a red-hot McNeese State squad on Friday night.
The Cowgirls (5-2-0) were off to the best start in their program's history and rode a five-game win streak into Denton, but the (ORV) Mean Green (5-2-0) had the answer with physical play and a strong possession game.
NT goalkeeper Haley Riley, the C-USA Defensive Player of the Week, once again looked confident as she and the NT defense recorded their third straight shutout. North Texas hasn't allowed a goal in 292:11, which dates back to the second half against (ORV) Virginia Tech on Sept. 1.
"Give McNeese State and their coaching staff credit," said North Texas head coach John Hedlund. "They made it tough to score. We're happy with the win and look forward to playing another good team on Sunday in Oklahoma."
Shelly Holt got North Texas on the board in the 16th minute when her cross from the right corner carried over the McNeese State keeper, clanged off the post and into the net. It was the senior's first career goal in her 63rd career game.
Looking content to go into the halftime break with a 1-0 lead, a seemingly harmless Lynda Hercules worm-burner cross with 25 second remaining in the frame squeaked through the Cowgirl defense and found the right foot of freshman Allison Harper for her first career goal.
Mean Green Quick Hitters
• NT keeper Haley Riley hasn't allowed a goal in 292:11, which dates back to the second half against Virginia Tech on Sept. 1. The sophomore is now 4-0 with a goals against average of 0.27.
• NT is riding a three-game shutout streak, which ties for the second longest in school history. Only the six-game shutout streak in 1997 is longer.
• North Texas returns to the Fox Sports Southwest airwaves on Sunday at Oklahoma. Kickoff is slated for noon.
• North Texas is now 60-8-5 at the Mean Green Soccer Complex since its opening in 2006.
• Defender Shelly Holt was playing in her 63rd career game tonight, and finally scored her first career goal on an accidental cross from the right corner.
• Allison Harper, a freshman forward, also tallied her first career goal.
• NT has now won three straight games.
• North Texas legend "Mean" Joe Greene was in attendance to watch freshman scoring sensation Rachel Holden. Turns out, Mr. Greene is a long-time friend of Holden's grandmother.