Box Score NT 2 at TCU 0
North Texas Season Stats
FORT WORTH, Texas – North Texas soccer bolstered its claim for a spot in the NSCAA Top-25 poll with a 2-0 win over TCU – the program’s first victory over its Big 12 cross-town rival.
A Fox Sports Southwest television audience saw the Mean Green (4-2-0) strike twice in the first half and dominate play in the second for its first win over TCU (2-3-1) in four tries. NT out-shot the Horned Frogs 12-5 in the second half.
The forward trio of Rachel Holden, Vanessa Ibewuike and Amber Haggerty gave the Horned Frog defense fits all afternoon. They combined for 12 shots in the game and notched both of NT’s goals midway through the opening frame.
Holden notched her C-USA-high sixth goal of the season in the 19th minute when she redirected a feed from Ibewuike into the left side of the box and buried it past the TCU keeper.
Just four minutes later, Karla Pineda led an NT counter attack and found Haggerty streaking down the left. Haggerty’s left-footed blast powered its way into the goal to put the Mean Green on top, 2-0.
Mean Green Quick Hitters
• Sunday marked just the fourth meeting in the series between NT and TCU. The Frogs won the three previous meetings, which were all one-goal games. In 2012, TCU downed the Mean Green 1-0 in Denton, which ended NT’s then 17-game home unbeaten streak.
• Sunday’s game was North Texas’ first on TV this season, but not its last. The Mean Green will take on Oklahoma on Fox Sports Southwest next Sunday at noon.
• Freshman Rachel Holden has now scored six goals in six games this season, and is tied atop the Conference USA lead in scoring.
• Just two days after recording her first career shutout, goalkeeper Haley Riley notched another one against TCU. Riley took over the starting job after Jackie Kerestine went down with injury last Sunday against Virginia Tech.
• NT entered the game with a 15-19 record against Big 12 opponents, but picked up its first win over a Big 12 team since 2009 (Baylor, 2-1). NT’s last road win against a Big 12 team came in 2008 (at Baylor, 2-0).
• North Texas returns to action at home on Friday against McNeese State at 7 p.m.