North Texas 9 vs TSU 1
North Texas opened the 2013 season and the Conference USA era with a resounding 9-1 win at Texas Southern on Friday night.
Rachel Holden stole the show with a hat trick in her first collegiate game. The freshman torched the Tigers for three goals before taking a seat in the 60th minute, which made her the first freshman to record a hat trick in her debut since her teammate Kelsey Hodges in 2010.
Amber Haggerty opened the flood gates in the 24th minute, and the Mean Green added three more goals over the next four minutes. NT led 6-1 at the halftime break, which included a pair of goals from Lynda Hercules.
North Texas returns to action on Sunday for its home opener against Houston Baptist at 1 p.m.
Mean Green Quick Hitters
- NT's nine goals are tied for the seventh most in school history. The eight-goal differential is NT's biggest since downing Grambling State 11-0 on Aug. 28, 2011.
- Rachel Holden scored a hat trick in her first collegiate game. The last freshman to open her career with a hat trick was her teammate Kelsey Hodges in 2010 (three goals vs. Texas Southern). It was the 43rd hat trick in school history, and the first since 2011 (Nikki Crocco vs. Grambling, 8/28/11).
- North Texas is now unbeaten in its last eight season openers (7-0-1). All-time NT is 13-5-1 in openers.
- NT is 4-0 all-time against Texas Southern with a goal differential of 28-1.
- Lynda Hercules scored two first-half goals for the first multi-score game of her career.
- Holden wasn't the only freshman to record a goal in her debut tonight. Anna Flobeck scored on a loose ball in the 27th minute for her first career tally.
- Kelsey Hodges scored a penalty kick in the 28th minute, which is her 24th career goal (3rd PK goal). She is now tied for 4th in school history in made penalty shots.
- Hodges now has 24 career goals, and needs just two more to tie for 10th place in school history.
- Hodges started her team-high 64th career game tonight against the Tigers.