Mean Green Host Hoosiers In Matinee Showdown
North Texas Returns To The Super Pit
DENTON -- The North Texas women's basketball team returns to the Super Pit Tuesday to host Indiana for its annual Denton ISD matinee game.
The Mean Green (2-5, 0-0 C-USA) and Hoosiers (4-3, 0-0 Big Ten) will tipoff at 11:30 a.m. in what will be just the third ever meeting between the two schools. The game will be aired live on KNTU 88.1 FM. Admission to Tuesday's game is free.
Both teams enter the contest looking to get back on the winning track.
North Texas almost completed a 14-point comeback at Tulsa on Saturday behind the effort of post player Tosin Mabodu. The junior from Chicago came off the bench and scored a career-high 18 points and had a career-high 10 rebounds. It was her first double-double of her North Texas career and the first double-double by a Mean Green player this season. Mabodu, who hadn't played in the previous two games and hadn't made a field goal all season prior to Saturday, played 23 minutes versus the Hurricane and single handily lifted the team to bring them within three points at one point.
The Mean Green outscored Tulsa in the second half 39-32.
At times North Texas has struggled to attack on offense early in games. Saturday, the Mean Green scored a season-low nine points in the first quarter. The slow start was compounded by a 22-10 second quarter in favor of Tulsa.
Tuesday, North Texas is going up against an Indiana team that is in the 95 percentile for offensive efficiency and features three starters who shoot above 48 percent for the season. Its leading scorer, Tyra Buss, is averaging 21 points per game. In the team's most recent game at North Carolina State, Buss scored a career-high 38 points in an 84-70 losing effort to the Wolfpack.
It was Indiana's second consecutive loss and third loss in four games.
Entering their Nov. 19 game at Western Kentucky, the Hoosiers had been ranked No. 23 in the country.
A win Tuesday for the Mean Green would be their first over Indiana and just the program's second ever over a current Big Ten team and their first since 1993.
MEAN GREEN QUICK HITTERS
- Senior Candice Adams enters Tuesday's contest one 3-pointer shy of passing 2010 graduate Brittney James for fourth all-time in program history for 3-pointers made. Adams currently has 112 made 3-pointers for her career and has made at least one 3-pointer in every game this season and one 3-pointer in 32 of her last 37 games dating back to last season.
- Senior Candice Adams is four points away from her 700th point of her career. She'd be the 22nd North Texas women's basketball player to reach the 700-point mark.
- The Mean Green have played six of their first seven games away from the Super Pit. They'll finish this season playing seven of their final 11 games away from the Super Pit.
- Sophomore Terriell Bradley has made 13 of her last 15 free throw attempts. She's the team's leading free throw shooter with more than five attempts on the season. She's shooting 82 percent from the free throw line this season.
- Tosin Mabodu, a Murray State College transfer, had never scored more than 16 points in college prior to Saturday at Tulsa.
- Tosin Mabodu and Indiana's Tyra Buss played AAU basketball together.
- North Texas has had five different starting lineups this season.
- Senior Terra Ellison is the only Mean Green player to start every game.