North Texas Defies New Mexico 63-50
Game 2, Home Opener
at North Texas 63, New Mexico 50
North Texas Mean Green (2-0), New Mexico (0-2)
November 14, 2011 – 7 p.m.
The Super Pit
NEXT GAME: North Texas takes on Oral Roberts this Wednesday, November 16th, at 12:00 p.m. at the Super Pit.
-North Texas is now 3-2 all time against New Mexico and extends it’s all time home opener record to 24-12.
- The Mean Green has only allowed 98 total points scored against them, the lowest total ever in school history.
- This marks the first victory over a Mountain West opponent in the program’s history.
- North Texas hasn’t started out 2-0 since the 2005-06 season.
- Defeating the Lobos makes this the first time to win back-to-back games by 10 points or more since November 2009.
- Coach Aston’s new and improved defense forced 23 turnovers and stole the ball 9 times.
- Held New Mexico to 19 points in the first half, the lowest since January 2011 when the Mean Green held Aransas State and FIU to 23 points.
- Out-shot the Lobos from the free throw line in the 1st half, making 11 of 15 free throws compared to New Mexico’s 1 for 3.
- Forced New Mexico to turn the ball over 12 times in the first half.
- Laura McCoy shot 2/3 from the field, 2/2 from 3-point, and had 2 steals at halftime.
- Finished with 13 points and 9 rebounds, just falling short one rebound short of her 16th career double-double and 18th time to grab 10 or more rebounds.
- Accomplished double-digit points in back-to-back games after scoring 15 against UT Arlington.
- Godbolt’s 9 boards makes her only 18 short of cracking the top 10 all-time rebounds record (519). Also connected on 7 of 11 free throws, accumulating a career-total of 387and jumps into sixth-all time at North Texas, pass Empress Drane (383).
- Finished with 12 points, scoring double-digit points in back-to-back games (16 vs. UT Arlington).
- Shot perfect from behind the arc, sinking 2 of 2 3-pointers.
- Had a game-high 4 steals tying the second highest total in her career.
- Scored 6 points, 2 assists, and 2 steals in 23 minutes of play.