Mean Green Women Host Pink Game Versus Charlotte Saturday
North Texas Honoring Play 4Kay Foundation In C-USA Showdown
|Pink Game vs. Charlotte|
|Date | Time||Saturday, February 13, 2016 | 2:00 p.m. CT|
|Location||Denton, TX | The Super Pit (10,500)|
|Stream||Mean Green All-Access ($)|
|Radio||Mean Green Radio Network - 88.1 KNTU-FM|
|Steven Bartolotta (Play-by-Play), Brent Wise (Color)|
|Game Notes||North Texas | Charlotte | Conference USA|
DENTON -- The North Texas women's basketball team will close out its two-game home stand this weekend with a matchup versus the Charlotte 49ers at 2:00 p.m. on Saturday, Feb. 13, from the Super Pit. With only three home contests remaining on the season, the matinee matchup will also serve as the team's annual pink game.
Inspired by the Kay Yow Cancer Fund, the Play 4Kay initiative is an opportunity for teams to raise awareness for women's cancer research on the court. According to the organization's website, the program has raised more than $5 million for women's cancer research and related projects since 2007. Fans are encouraged to wear pink and learn more about the organization at Play4Kay.org.
On The Air
• Saturday's game can be heard on the Mean Green Radio Network (KNTU 88.1 FM). Steven "Poppy" Bartolotta will have play-by-play duties, while Brent Wise will provide color commentary.
A Look at the Series
• North Texas has never defeated the 49ers, going 0-3 in three matchups against Charlotte as members of Conference USA.
• The two squads last faced off on February 26, 2015 from Charlotte's home court where NT ultimately fell 71-46. Current senior Acheil Tac led the Mean Green with 12 points and added nine rebounds.
Scouting North Texas
• At 8-13 (3-8) on the year, the Mean Green sit in 11th in the latest C-USA rankings.
• An advantage in rebounding has correlated with six of eight NT wins this season. In the only two exceptions - IUPUI and UAB - the Mean Green were out-rebounded by a combined four boards. On the year, NT ranks ninth in C-USA for rebounding margin (+1.1).
• Four players - juniors Kelsey Criner (12.0 ppg), Candice Adams (11.3) and Terra Ellison (10.3), along with senior Acheil Tac (10.0) - have shared the load at the offensive end of the court. The result has been one of the most balanced units in the league - and in recent Mean Green history. In fact, no North Texas team has had four players that finished the year with an average of 10+ points since the 2007-08 season.
• Junior Candice Adams is just one three-pointer away from taking sole possession of seventh place on the team's career threes list. At 84 makes, Adams is tied with Ramona Black (1987-91) on NT's all-time list. Current head coach Jalie Mitchell is sixth on the list with 87 shots from deep.
• The Mean Green have hit at least two three-pointers in every game this season.
• NT has made 100 three-pointers on the year, and the team is efficient with the shots it puts up. The Mean Green's 34.7 percent clip from deep is third in the league (54th nationally), and that percentage would be the third-best mark for a single season in team history.
• The 49ers have a 13-9, 6-5 record on the year, putting them in a tie for sixth place in C-USA.
• Last time out: Charlotte is coming off a 69-58 win against Rice from the Tudor Fieldhouse in Houston. In what had been a tightly-contested game, the 49ers outscored the Owls by nine in the final frame to seal a win. Freshman Grace Hunter fell a point shy of her fourth-consecutive 20-point performance in the win.
• An explosive 49ers offense is among the best in C-USA. Its 74.9 point average is tops in the league (26th nationally), while Charlotte's 45 percent clip from the field is also good for first in C-USA (21st NCAA).
• Few conference teams are more balanced in the scoring column than NT, but Charlotte is a part of that group. Five players average 10 or more points for the 49ers, led by 14.5 points and 7.6 rebounds from senior Alexis Alexander.
• Hunter - the reigning two-time C-USA Freshman of the Week -- has been a force in the paint for the 49ers in her first season. On the year, she averages 10 points and 7.1 rebounds per game.
• Charlotte is a combined 4-7 on the road this season, including a 2-4 mark in C-USA contests.