Women Host Old Dominion At The Super Pit Thursday
North Texas Hopes Playing At Home Can Provide Winning Spark
Junior Kelsey Criner has had a knack for passing the ball, having dished at least five assists in 12 of her last 13 games.
|North Texas Women's Basketball vs. Old Dominion|
|Date | Time||Thursday, February 11, 2016 | 7:00 p.m. CT|
|Location||Denton, TX | The Super Pit (10,500)|
|Stream||Mean Green All-Access ($)|
|Radio||Mean Green Radio Network - 88.1 KNTU-FM|
|Steven Bartolotta (Play-by-Play), Joseph Reimschussel (Color)|
|Game Notes||North Texas | Old Dominion | Conference USA|
DENTON — In the midst of a three-game losing streak, the North Texas women’s basketball team will look to get back in the win column in its first of two games from the Super Pit this week. The Mean Green will play host to Old Dominion on Thursday, Feb. 11, at 7 p.m. for another Conference USA showdown.
On The Air
Thursday’s game can be heard on the Mean Green Radio Network (KNTU 88.1 FM). Steven “Poppy” Bartolotta will have play-by-play duties, while Joseph Reimschussel will provide color commentary.
A Look at the Series
• Old Dominion owns a 2-1 advantage over the Mean Green, with each matchup coming as members of Conference USA.
• The two squads last faced off on February 25, 2015 from ODU’s home court where NT ultimately fell 70-48. Current junior Candice Adams finished with 10 points, while ODU’s Jennie Simms had 20 points and 14 rebounds to lead the Monarchs.
Scouting North Texas
• At 8-12 (3-7) on the year, the Mean Green sit in 10th in the latest C-USA rankings.
• Four players - juniors Kelsey Criner (12.0 ppg), Candice Adams (11.5) and Terra Ellison (10.4), along with senior Acheil Tac (10.3) - have shared the load at the offensive end of the court. The result has been one of the most balanced units in the league - and in recent Mean Green history. In fact, no North Texas team has had four players that finished the year with an average of 10+ points since the 2007-08 season.
• Junior Candice Adams is just two 3-pointers away from taking sole possession of seventh place on the team’s career threes list.
• Junior Kelsey Criner enters Thursday’s game having dished at least five assists in 12 of the team’s last 13 games.
• NT has made only 95 3-pointers on the year, but the team is efficient with the shots it does put up. The Mean Green’s 34.3 percent clip from behind the 3-point line is third in the league (53rd nationally), and that percentage would be the third-best mark for a single season in team history.
Scouting Old Dominion
• The Monarchs have a 10-12, 6-4 record on the year, putting them in fifth place in C-USA.
• Last time out: ODU is coming off its best offensive showing of the season in a 94-85 win over Charlotte on Saturday. That point total was the team’s first 90-plus point showing of the season, and it was sparked by 35 points from redshirt junior Jennie Simms.
• Simms - C-USA’s leading scorer - has been the go-to for the Monarchs all season. She averages 20.2 points per contest, ranking 25th nationally.
• ODU enters Thursday’s contest on a three-game winning streak, the team’s longest run of the season. Over that span, Simms is averaging 26 points, seven assists and 5.7 rebounds, while the backcourt of Destinee Young (14.7 ppg, 10 rpg) and Ije Ajemba (12.7 ppg, 10 rpg) have added a double-double average.
• ODU is a combined 4-6 on the road this season, including a 2-3 mark in C-USA contests.
• The Monarchs come in at tenth in scoring offense (61.9 ppg) and seventh in scoring defense (63.2 ppg).