Women's Basketball Falls In Overtime, 67-65
A Late Run By The Lopes Downs The Mean Green
DENTON, Texas - Kaitlyn Petersen scored 23 points, including six 3-pointers, to lead the Grand Canyon women's basketball team to a 67-65 overtime win against North Texas on Tuesday night in the Super Pit.
With North Texas leading by 17 points and most of their starters on the bench in foul trouble, the Lopes went on a 21-4 run to force overtime. Petersen hit three straight 3-pointers in that run to cut the Mean Green lead to one point, 61-60, with 1:06 left in the game.
After a Lopes free-throw tied the game and forced overtime, Petersen opened the third period with her sixth 3-pointer of the game. It was Grand Canyon's first lead since the opening minutes of the game. Petersen also opened the game with a made 3-pointer.
The Lopes outscored the Mean Green, 6-4, in overtime, with North Texas missing six of its eight field-goal attempts. North Texas had multiple attempts on its last possession to send the game into double overtime but could not get anything to drop in.
The loss is especially disheartening because the Mean Green put together one of its best first halves of the season, culminating with a 38-26 advantage. North Texas shot season highs in the first period in field-goal percentage (52.0), 3-point percentage (57.2) and free-throw percentage (80.0).
Briesha Wynn helped engineer the Mean Green's fast start. The junior hit her first three shots of the game, including a 3-pointer. After completing a three-point play to extend NT's lead to 14-8, Wynn accounted for 10 of NT's 14 points. She finished the half with 12 points, three shy of her season high.
Grand Canyon came out of the intermission with an 11-4 run and forced the Mean Green into foul trouble. North Texas committed nine fouls in the opening five minutes of the second period. While the Lopes came out hot, the Mean Green's shooting turned cold. North Texas missed 10 of its first 12 shots of the second period.
With all the starters on the bench in foul trouble, the reserves slowly built back the double-digit lead from the first half. After the Lopes cut the lead to four, the Mean Green responded with a 14-1 run to go ahead, 57-40, at 7:11. BreAnna Dawkins scored five of those points, including a fast-break layup.
The Lopes responded with a 20-4 run, capped by three straight 3-pointers from Petersen. Her third 3-pointer cut the Mean Green lead to one point, 61-60, with 12 seconds left in the game.
After a Mean Green missed jumper, Johnna Brown tied the game at 61 for the Lopes from the free-throw line. Brown was fouled after getting an offensive rebound and then hit 1-of-2 from the line.
Wynn led the Mean Green with 14 points. Dawkins led the bench with nine points.
Next up for North Texas
• North Texas is off until Dec. 1 when it faces Oklahoma State on the road at 2 p.m.
Mean Green Quick Hitters
• North Texas played its first overtime game since the final game of last season. Louisiana-Lafayette defeated North Texas, 80-74, in double overtime.
• Janis Peterson hit her first 3-pointer of the season in the first half, giving NT a 17-10 lead. Peterson went on to score a season-high seven points.
• It took only seven minutes for Briesha Wynn to score in double figures. She finished the game with 14 points, her fourth game in double figures. Twelve of her 14 points were scored in the first half.
• Acheil Tac was held to a season-low four points. She got into foul trouble early in the second half and had to sit out most of the second period. She came back in and hit a key jumper that cut the Grand Canyon lead to one, 66-65, in overtime.
• All five starters had to sit the bench for most of the second half after getting into foul trouble early in the second half. The bench scored 18 of NT's 23 second-half points.
• Ash'Lynne Evans scored six of those 18 points in the second period. She finished with a season-high eight points in 19 minutes, another season high.