Women's Basketball Snaps Two-Game Losing Streak With 64-50 Win
Wynn Leads Team With 15 Points
DENTON, Texas - The North Texas women's basketball team snapped a two-game losing streak with a 64-50 win against Abilene Christian on Saturday night at the Super Pit.
The Mean Green used a run at the start of the second half to extend its three-point halftime lead and North Texas never looked back. The home team shot 52 percent from the field in the second half and held the Wildcats to seven field goals.
"I thought we defended the ball well," said head coach Mike Petersen. "I'm still not real happy with what we are doing offensively. We're turning the ball over in the most outrageous ways sometimes. The improvement tonight is you can coach basketball if you don't have to coach effort, and I thought our effort was really good from start to finish. I don't think we had a single let down in effort, which is a huge improvement."
Three players scored in double figures for the Mean Green. For the third straight game, Briesha Wynn led the Mean Green in scoring with 15 points. Alexis Hyder followed with 14 points, and Laura McCoy hit two 3-pointers and finished with 12 points.
Hyder led North Texas on an 11-5 run to open the second half. The sophomore forward scored five points in the run to put the Mean Green ahead, 40-31 at 12:49. The Mean Green extended its lead to double figures with six unanswered points, 48-38. North Texas sealed the win with a 14-6 run to end the game.
North Texas posted season highs in field goal percentage (46 percent), 3-point field goal percentage (33 percentage), and assists (11).
Acheil Tac led the Mean Green on the glass with 14 rebounds, tying a career high. North Texas outrebounded the Wildcats, 46-30.
Despite turning over the ball 17 times, North Texas scored seven of the final nine points of the first half to enter intermission ahead, 29-26. The first half featured seven lead changes and five times.
Next up for North Texas
• North Texas continues play in the Hospitality Hill Challenge with a 5 p.m. game against Bethune Cookman.
Mean Green Quick Hitters
• Laura McCoy went 2-for-3 from 3-point range. She hit her first 3-pointer in the first half since going 0-for-5 last game against Houston. She hit more than one 3-pointer for the first time this season and scored in double figures, also a season first.
• North Texas committed 17 turnovers in the first half against Abilene Christian. The 17 turnovers was more than NT committed in the entire game against UMKC (12) and one fewer than in the game against Texas A&M. North Texas finished with a season-high 29 turnovers in the game.
• Alexis Hyder scored her third game in double figures with 14 points. She has scored in double figures in three of the four games this season.
• Acheil Tac recorded double-figure rebounds for the third time this season with 14 against ACU.
• North Texas posted season highs in field goal percentage (46 percent), 3-point field goal percentage (33 percentage), and assists (11).