Nov. 20, 2013
NT-Houston Box Score
HOUSTON – Coming back to within one late in Houston after trailing by as many as 15 in the second half, North Texas could not complete the comeback bid and fell to Cougars, 66-61.
“We came out in the second half and played pretty hard and played with pretty good purpose,” head coach Mike Petersen said. “We lost a game where we didn’t compete in the first half and have any discipline with the ball.”
North Texas came out with some rust following a nine-day break since its last live action against Texas A&M. The Cougars got into the paint and did damage early, earning 18 free throws to the Mean Green’s one.
Along with the charity stripe advantage, Houston held an advantage in the turnover department with nine to NT’s 15, and finished up the half with a 32-20 lead.
Out of the break, North Texas found its rhythm. With seven minutes remaining, the Mean Green went on a 14-1 run, cutting the Cougar lead to 54-52.
In the final minute, the North Texas offense went cold. The Mean Green outscored Houston 41-34 in a much more competitive second half.
It is a quick turnaround for North Texas as it hosts the Hospitality Hill Challenge beginning on Saturday, Nov. 23, opening up against Abilene Christian at 7:30 p.m.
- Desiree Nelson knocked down a season-high 11 points.
- Freshman point guard Candice Adams made her mark with nine points, three boards and three steals as she played a career-high 23 minutes.
- The Mean Green knocked down seven 3-pointers after only hitting four through the first two games.
- Wynn recorded her first career double-double for the Mean Green and scored a career-high 14 points.
- Acheil Tac brought down a career-high 14 rebounds, six of which were on the offensive glass.