Slow Start Hinders Mean Green Versus UTRGV
Terriell Bradley And Tyara Warren Combine For 38 Points
ABILENE -- North Texas' Tyara Warren scored a career-high 17 points and Terriell Bradley tied her career-high of 21 points, but the Mean Green fell 74-69 to UT-Rio Grande Valley in the first round of the consolation bracket of Preseason WNIT Friday.
North Texas (0-2, 0-0 C-USA) fell behind by a few baskets early in the contest to the Vaqueros (1-1, 0-0 WAC) and never was able to tie the game back up or take the lead. However, they also never fell behind by more than 13 and trailed by eight going into the half.
"We just need to put the ball in the basket better," head coach Jalie Mitchell said. "Tyara (Warren) picked it up in the second half and found ways to get buckets. We would have liked to have had that in the first half but she's starting to come into herself and that's part of the growth."
In the second half, North Texas found an offensive groove and pushed the ball and quickened the tempo. It's transition offense threatened UTRGV's lead but a 29-point performance from the Vaqueros' Shawnte' Goff led the way for her team as they stopped the Mean Green's momentum at every run.
"I was pretty proud of the effort in the second half," Mitchell said. "But we still need to put the ball in the hole better and quite honestly we didn't put the ball in the hole enough."
Overall, North Texas' numbers improved from its first game. The Mean Green were much cleaner with the ball Friday, committing just 13 turnovers after having 20 in their first game at Little Rock. Their 42 rebounds Friday were 10 more than they had last week at Little Rock. Additionally, two players scored in double figures after none in game one.
"We have some work to do," Mitchell said. "It's all part of the learning curve."
North Texas will be back on the court at Abilene Christian University Saturday as they face a strong shooting team in Omaha at 4 p.m.
Mean Green Quick Hitters
- With 21 points Friday, Terriell Bradley tied her career-high. She scored 21 points against Creighton her freshman season while at Kansas.
- Tyara Warren bested her previous career-high of 10, which she reached twice at West Virginia during her freshman season.
- Last season it took nine games before a North Texas player scored 20 or more points.
- With her one made 3-pointer, senior Candice Adams now has 103 for her career.
- Micayla Buckner's 10 rebounds is a season-high for a North Texas player.
- Just like in their first game, 10 players again saw playing time for North Texas.