Women's Hoops Falls To La Tech In First Round Of C-USA Tourney
Despite Christian's Career-High 15 Points, NT Loses To Lady Techsters For Second Time This Season
March 11, 2014
EL PASO, Texas - The Mean Green women's hoops team lost its Conference USA tournament first-round matchup with La Tech, 77-59.
The Mean Green shot 27.3 percent from the floor, while Louisiana Tech hit 45 percent of its shots from deep.
"They had us on our heels on both ends of the court right from the beginning," head coach Mike Petersen said. "Basketball is a make or miss game, and they started making while we started missing."
La Tech came out swinging with an early 6-0 lead that saw the Mean Green get down by as many as 13 in the first half.
NT struggled from the floor, where it was 9-33 at the end of the first half including 2-15 from three-point range.
The second half saw the Mean Green claw its way back to within five points, but it would not get any closer as the Lady Techsters stretched their lead to 21 points with nine minutes remaining, a lead that North Texas was unable to overcome.
"They got a lot of good looks, and we simply didn't do enough to take them out of their game," coach Petersen concluded.
- NT is 5-4 in the first round of conference tournaments in its program history.
- NT was 0-14 this season when trailing at the half.
- Junior Briesha Wynn had five double-doubles on the season.
- Sophomore Alexis Hyder scored in double figures in 13 of her last 15 games this year.
- Senior Hannah Christian scored career-high 15 points against La Tech.
- With the loss to La Tech, NT lost three straight games for the first time this season.
- The Mean Green was 12-8 this season when scoring over 61 points.