Women's Basketball Falls to Golden Eagles In Final Seconds
Hyder Scores Season-High 23 Points In Loss
March 5, 2014
DENTON, Texas - Tamara Jones scored 32 points, including the basket that gave Southern Miss the lead in the final seconds, to give the Golden Eagles an 80-77 win against the North Texas women's basketball team on Wednesday night at the Super Pit.
The Mean Green falls to 12-17 and 6-10 in the conference, while Southern Miss improves to 24-5 and 13-3 in Conference USA.
"We just didn't do a good enough job at the free-throw line all night," said North Texas head coach Mike Petersen. "We are not going to win, going 14-for-25 from the line. We have to learn how to win. There was no reason for us not to win this game tonight. We didn't do the little, simple things."
The Mean Green led by as many as 14 points in the second half and held a 77-76 lead with 52 seconds left to play, but Jones hit a layup with 29 seconds on the clock and made free throws to seal the victory.
The up-tempo game featured six 3-pointers by the Mean Green in the first half and big runs by both teams in the second half. The game swung back and forth seven times in the second period.
Jones hit three straight 3-pointers in the midst of a 17-0 run in the second half by Southern Miss that gave the visitors their first lead, 58-54, since the midpoint of the first half. The 3-pointers were the first of the game for the Golden Eagles, who went 0-5 from 3-point range in the opening period.
North Texas responded with a 15-3 run to retake the lead, 69-61, with 3:53 left in the game. Janis Peterson had nine points in the run, including a 3-pointer that put the lead back in the Mean Green's hands, 63-61. Peterson was one of four Mean Green players in double-figures.
After USM stole the lead once again from North Texas, the Mean Green held its last lead in the final minute, but Jones hit one of her many key baskets to take the win.
Alexis Hyder scored 12 points in the opening seven minutes of the second half to lead North Texas on a 17-8 run. Hyder finished with a season-high 23 points. Eighteen of those points were scored in the second period.
Laura McCoy hit four 3-pointers in the first half, helping the Mean Green to a 35-30 advantage at intermission.
Next up for North Texas
• North Texas wrapped up its regular season tonight and will continue play in the Conference USA Conference Championship next week.
Mean Green Quick Hitters
• Laura McCoy hit four 3-pointers in tonight's game. She has hit at least three 3-pointers in each of the last 3 games. The senior finished the game with 12 points, her seventh game in double-figures this season and her third straight game in double-figures.
• North Texas went 6-for-10 from 3-point range in the first half against USM. The six 3-pointers ties for the most 3-pointers made in an opening period this season by the Mean Green.
• Alexis Hyder scored 23 points tonight. She has scored in double-figures in 13 of the last 14 games. The 23 points was a season high. Along with her 10 rebounds, Hyder recorded her third double-double of the season. Eighteen of the 23 points were scored in the second half.
• Janis Petersen scored in double-figures, her second straight game in double-digit scoring.
• In games decided by six points or less, NT is 0-9 following the loss to East Carolina.
• In games decided by 10 points or less, the Mean Green is 4-9.
• NT is 0-4 in one-possession games in C-USA games this season.