Dawkins' Career Day Lifts Women's BBall Over FAU
North Texas Sets Season-Best Marks on Offensive End
DENTON — Giddy up. The North Texas women's basketball team came out victorious in Thursday night's game, posting its best offensive performance of the season against Florida Atlantic in a 74-55 win. Senior guard BreAnna Dawkins led the way with a career performance of 24 points, 13 rebounds, five assists and three steals.
The Owls started out the first five minutes of play with a 6-0 lead, but the game was tied at 16 by the ten minute mark. North Texas ended the first half with a 12-point lead, 39-27, when Dawkins hit a fadeaway jumper as time expired. The Mean Green was able to hold a double-digit lead for the rest of the game, ending with a whopping 19-point margin of victory over the Owls.
"We just wanted to play with energy and be confident, and when you start making shots the rim just gets bigger," head coach Mike Petersen said following the win. "Tonight we caught the ball shot-ready and shot the ball with no fear. We made shots and hopefully going forward that's who we are, because we are capable of doing it."
Dawkins' 24 points and 13 rebounds were both career highs and netted the senior her first-career double-double. She eclipsed her previous high of 22 points against Western Kentucky on December 29, 2012 and her previous high of seven rebounds against Eastern Illinois on November 23, 2014. Junior forward Acheil Tac had 11 points and a season-high 14 rebounds, also recording a double-double.
"For Bre, that's as good of a line as you can have in our sport," Petersen praised. "Between what she scored and the points we scored off of her assists, 34 points came off of her hand; that's a pretty big deal."
North Texas had a number of season-best offensive performances tonight. The 24 points and 10 made shots by Dawkins are individual highs, while the 74 points, 49 rebounds, 14 assists, 32 made shots and 12-point halftime lead are all team highs. In addition, the 12 turnovers tie a season-low and the 62.5-percent (5-8) mark from beyond the arc is a team high.
This win puts North Texas tied with Rice for the 12th spot in the Conference USA Championship picture. Rice won 80-59 against FIU tonight, as both teams improved to 3-10 in conference action.
Mean Green Quick Hitters
- Tac recorded her sixth-career double-double. Her last was at Tulane on February 5, 2014. In that game she had 15 points and 15 rebounds.
- Sophomore guard Terra Ellison scored 10 points her second consecutive game in double-figures.
- In her first game back from injury, senior forward Briesha Wynn scored eight points and added eight rebounds in 28 minutes. She had missed three consecutive games.
- Dawkins' 24 points is the most scored by a Mean Green player since Janis Peterson had 27 at Northern Colorado on December 15, 2013.
- Team managers Kelby Jones (3) and David Meador (2) combined for five halfies during pre-game shootaround. According to DOBO Brandon Miller, it was the first time in three years anyone on the team has doubled-up, let alone secured the triple-dip.
Next up for North Texas
- The Mean Green continues its two-game swing against FIU on February 21 at the Super Pit. Tip off is scheduled for 4 p.m. The Panthers are now 0-13 in conference play after their loss to Rice.