Feb. 19, 2014
NT-UTEP Box Score
DENTON, Texas - Eboniey Jeter recorded her first career double-double to lead the North Texas women's basketball team to a 73-64 win against UTEP on Wednesday night at the Super Pit.
"That was a top-50 RPI win," said North Texas head coach Mike Petersen. "You don't get many of those. They are good. Credit to our kids. We had kids step up. Jeter played phenomenal. Hannah had six assists. You win a game like that there is a lot of credit to go around."
North Texas snapped a seven-game winning streak by the Miners. It had been the longest streak in Conference USA. The Mean Green used a 16-0 run in the first half to take a double-digit lead into intermission and then held off the Miners down the stretch.
Redshirt freshman Jeter came off the bench to score a career-high 19 points to lead the Mean Green. She also pulled down a personal-best 13 rebounds. She led four Mean Green players in double-figures.
North Texas hit four 3-pointers, including two by Janis Peterson, in the opening 10 minutes of the game to stay within striking distance of the Miners. After UTEP took a four-point lead midway through the first half, Jeter hit a jumper to start a 16-0 run by the Mean Green.
North Texas held the Miners scoreless for close to five minutes and built a 12-point lead, 34-22, at 3:28. Alexis Hyder scored seven points in the run.
The Mean Green led by as many as 14 points in the second half, but the Miners were able to cut the advantage to five points, 66-61, with 2:57 left in the game. Nelson and Wynn both hit key baskets to keep North Texas ahead, and Hyder and Jeter made free throws to seal the win.
North Texas committed just nine turnovers in the game, the lowest this season. The Mean Green forced 18 UTEP turnovers.
Next up for North Texas
• North Texas continues conference play with a Saturday road trip against Tulsa at 2 p.m.
Mean Green Quick Hitters
• North Texas snapped UTEP's seven-game winning streak.
• North Texas handed UTEP just its third conference loss of the season.
• Eboniey Jeter recorded her first career double-double with personal best in points (19) and rebounds (13).
• Desiree Nelson scored a season-high 14 points, her third game in double-figures.
• North Texas went on a 16-0 run toward the end of the first half, putting North Texas up by 12 points.
• Laura McCoymade one 3-pointer in the game and needs just seven more to claim second place all-time at North Texas for career three-pointers.
• Briesha Wynnwas two rebounds shy of her fifth double-double. She scored 14 points and pulled down eight rebounds.
• Four players scored in double-figures for the Mean Green: Wynn, Alexis Hyder, Nelson and Jeter.
• The UTEP game was the first in which North Texas committed single-digit turnovers. The nine turnovers was the lowest this season.