Mean Green Come Back And Win In Overtime
North Texas Wins Fifth Straight
Feb. 18, 2017
SAN ANTONIO, Texas -- North Texas won its fifth straight game and clinched a spot in the C-USA Championship with a 58-55 win in overtime at Texas-San Antonio Saturday afternoon.
The Mean Green (11-14, 8-6 C-USA) came back from a 10-point halftime deficit to send the game into overtime. Overtime wouldn't have been possible, though, if it wasn't for a deep 3-pointer by senior Candice Adams at the fourth quarter buzzer. In overtime, North Texas took its first lead of the game and never looked back. The Mean Green made five free throws down the stretch as they pulled away with their third road overtime win of the season.
"My teammates got me the ball and I shot it with confidence," Adams said about her game tying 3-pointer. "We brought more energy in the second half and wanted it bad."
North Texas had its lowest scoring first half of the season. The Mean Green scored just 16 points in the first two quarters combined on 22 percent shooting, but trailed by just 10 points.
In the second half, North Texas played with more defensive intensity, which helped lead to more transition baskets and more points. The Mean Green slowly chipped away at the UTSA (11-15, 7-7 C-USA) lead until Adams, who had left the game earlier with a bloody nose after getting hit, tied the game at the buzzer on her fourth made 3-pointer of the game.
In overtime, North Texas took its first lead of the game. The Roadrunners made just two of their final 11 field goals while the Mean Green knocked down nearly every free throw.
Senior point guard Kelsey Criner led the team with 15 points and also chipped in with five assists. Adams finished with 12 points.
The win ties North Texas' season win total from last season (11), secures them a spot in the C-USA tournament. Adams' game tying 3-pointer was her 49th of the season, which ties her career-high and is tied for eighth most in a single season in program history.
North Texas has now won three road overtime games this season. Prior to this year, the Mean Green only had three road overtime wins in program history. The five-game winning streak is the program's longest since 2013.
North Texas is back on the road. The Mean Green travel to Louisiana Tech on Thursday for a 6:30 PM scheduled start. The Lady Techsters are also on a five game winning streak.
MEAN GREEN QUICK HITTERS
- North Texas is on a three-game road-winning streak. The last time they won three road games in a row was 2005.
- The Mean Green have won five in a row. The last time they won five in a row was 2013.
- Candice Adams is three 3-pointers away from setting a program record for most 3-pointers in consecutive seasons.
- The Mean Green led for just two minutes and 10 seconds.
- The five points they scored in the second quarter is the fewest points they've scored in a quarter all season.
- Kelsey Criner is one point away from her 600th career point.
- Candice Adams' game-tying 3-pointer was her 300th career made field goal and her 848th career point, which ties her with 2008 graduate Erica Howard for 15th all-time on the Mean Green's scoring list.