Women's BBall Falls to Middle in Murfreesboro
Jones and Parker Lead Blue Raiders to 85-59 Victory
MURFREESBORO, Tenn. — Conference USA leader Middle Tennessee used a first half three-point barrage to ease their way past the North Texas women's basketball team, 85-59 on Saturday at the Murphy Center. The Blue Raiders buried nine three-pointers on the day - seven in the first 20 minutes - and the Mean Green could not get back in the game, as the team dropped its second straight.
Junior forward Acheil Tac had a season-high 14 points and added seven rebounds; it was the fourth consecutive game she has grabbed at least six rebounds since coming back from injury. Sophomore guard Terra Ellison added 13 points of her own on 6-9 shooting and grabbed four rebounds.
"I'm not going to say that this scoreboard is acceptable, but I'm proud of the way we competed today," head coach Mike Petersen said. "Our competitiveness was better than it was against UAB."
On the other end, sophomore guard Olivia Jones scored 23 points, had seven rebounds and swiped four steals. Jones dropped 16 points in the first half alone, including three three-pointers. Redshirt senior forward Cheyenne Parker was a force down low for the Blue Raiders in the first half. She nearly amassed a double-double with 10 points and nine rebounds, while also adding two assists, two steals and two blocks. She played two minutes in the second half, adding a steal and a block before resting for the remainder of the game.
Early in the game, redshirt sophomore forward Eboniey Jeter - who had played tough on Parker up to that point - landed awkwardly on her wrist and missed the remainder of the half. She would return in the second half, but by then it was a 24-point Middle Tennessee lead at the break. The Mean Green were already playing shorthanded, as freshman forward Bria Frierson was ruled out before the contest and senior Briesha Wynn remained out with an ankle injury.
"Our players did a very good job of making adjustments on the fly tonight," Petersen explained. "Once Frierson was ruled out before the game and Jeter left in the first half with a sprained wrist, we had to really change things up."
Mean Green Quick Hitters
- Nine of the 10 players who appeared for North Texas scored. Eight of the 10 made at least one field goal.
- Junior guard Teadra Jones scored seven points and had three steals. She had eight points and three steals in her previous nine games combined.
- Middle Tennessee freshman forward Gabby Lyon scored a career-high 15 points on 7-9 shooting in 14 minutes. Coming into the game, Lyon had scored 17 points in 113 minutes on the season.
- 59 points was the second-most scored in a game by the Mean Green this season. The team scored 65 in its win over UMKC on December 14, 2014.
Next Up for North Texas
- The Mean Green returns home to the Super Pit for a two-game swing against Florida Atlantic on February 19 and against FIU on February 21.