Blazers Rain Threes, Shut Down Mean Green
UAB Goes 11-23 From Deep in 74-40 Victory
BIRMINGHAM, Ala. -- The North Texas women's basketball team fell to UAB on Thursday night, 74-40. After junior guard Kasiney Williams hit a jumper to put the Mean Green ahead 16-14 with 7:17 remaining in the first half, the Blazer went on a 21-7 run into the break. They extended that lead into the second half and eventually claimed a 34-point win.
The primary difference in this one was the UAB offense, as the Blazers shot 50.9-percent (28-55) from the field, including 47.8-percent (11-23) from three-point range. The field goal percentage was the best of any North Texas opponent this season, while the three-point percentage and total makes from three were second-best to Louisiana Tech on January 22, who shot 12-23. All and all, five different players on the home team struck gold from deep.
Sophomore guard Candice Adams was the only North Texas player in double-figures, as she contributed 10 points on 4-10 shooting, including 2-3 from beyond the arc. She also added a team-high two steals. Senior forward Joh'Vonna Darrington led the team with eight rebounds and added six points of her own.
North Texas was able to stay competitive early by grabbing offensive rebounds. The Mean Green had 10 offensive boards in the first half and out rebounded UAB 20-13 through the first 20 minutes. But by the end of the contest, the Blazers held a 46-36 advantage on the glass; their 35 defensive boards were the most of any North Texas opponent this season.
For UAB, forward Janae Smith showed why she is a premier player in Conference USA. The senior recorded her sixth double-double of the season with 18 points and 11 rebounds, including 10 cleaning up the defensive glass. Senior guard Miranda Burroughs hit 4-8 threes for 12 points.
Mean Green Quick Hitters
- Freshman forward Bria Frierson scored a career-high five points on 2-3 shooting. The two made field goals were also a career-high.
- Williams led North Texas in minutes (32) for the second consecutive game.
- The win by UAB was its first all time against North Texas. The Mean Green now falls to 3-1 in the series.
- Junior forward Acheil Tac grabbed seven rebounds in 23 minutes. She now has at least six rebounds in all three games since returning from injury.
Next Up for North Texas
- The Mean Green continues its road trip with a game beginning at 4 p.m. on Saturday February 14 at Middle Tennessee. The Blue Raiders defeated Rice by a score of 79-61 on Thursday to improve to 16-6 on the season and 10-2 in C-USA play.