Bradley Paces North Texas To Its Third-Straight Win
Terriell Bradley Records Her First Career Double-Double
Feb. 11, 2017
DENTON -- North Texas women's basketball won its third straight game Saturday afternoon and its second in a row by 20 or more points. The Mean Green used a 22-8 start to hold off Florida International and win 69-49 at the Super Pit.
North Texas (9-14, 6-6 C-USA) was led throughout the game by sophomore Terriell Bradley who had her first career double-double, scoring 19 points on 7-of-13 shooting and grabbing a career-high 13 rebounds. The win is North Texas' sixth conference win this year, which ties the program record for C-USA wins in a single season. It's also the latest in the season they've been at .500 or above since joining C-USA for the 2013-14 season.
North Texas had 39 total rebounds, 18 of which were offensive. The Mean Green made eight 3-pointers, six coming from Bradley and Candice Adams combined -- three each. Senior Kelsey Criner only scored three points but dished out a season-best nine assists. North Texas finished with a season-high 17 assists.
In the first quarter alone, Bradley contributed with eight points and seven rebounds. She had never had more than nine rebounds in a game prior to Saturday.
FIU (5-18, 3-9 C-USA) cut the lead down to three points early in the third quarter after holding the Mean Green to just eight points in the second quarter and starting the third quarter on a run but North Texas went on a 14-0 run of their own to break it open.
"I think we have a lot of momentum right now, but one game at a time," said head coach Jalie Mitchell. "I told my team `we want to keep building on (the winning streak)' to give us confidence but definitely not arrogance. There's a fine line with that and I want to make sure we keep our nose to the ground and keep working."
North Texas begins its longest conference road trip, starting at UTEP on Thursday at 8:05 CT. The game will be aired live on BeIN Sports
Mean Green Quick Hitters
- North Texas' 17 assists were a game-high while FIU's 4 assists were the fewest by a Mean Green opponent.
- FIU's 49 points is the fewest points scored on the Mean Green this season.
- In the fourth quarter, senior Terra Ellison scored her 700th career point. She is the 23rd Mean Green player to reach that scoring mark.
- In the first quarter, sophomore Terriell Bradley scored her 500th career point including her one year at Kansas.
- Kelsey Criner's nine assists are the most in a game by a Mean Green player this season.
- North Texas took 135 shot attempts over the past two games.
- Terriell Bradley has scored 19 points now three times this year.