Wynn Leads Mean Green With 17 Points
North Texas Defeats ODU, 68-52
Feb. 8, 2014
DENTON, Texas -- Briesha Wynn scored 17 points to lead the North Texas women's basketball team to a 68-52 win against Old Dominion on Saturday afternoon at the Super Pit.
The Mean Green improves to 10-13 and 4-6 in Conference USA, while ODU falls to 11-13 and 4-6 in the conference.
Behind a season high in 3-point shooting, North Texas jumped out to an early lead and held onto to it the rest of the game. The Mean Green defense held the visitors to 52 points, the lowest point total for ODU against conference opponents.
"This was a really good complete effort for us," said North Texas head coach Mike Petersen. "It was a complete game and everyone really stepped up. I thought Desiree gave us great effort and she was just one of many players that played well tonight. I thought defensively our effort was one of the best of the year. I think that shows if we follow the game plan what we are capable of."
The Mean Green hit four 3-pointers in the opening six minutes of the game to jump out to an early lead. Wynn hit the team's fourth 3-pointer to extend NT's lead to 12-5 at 14:09. The Mean Green led by as many as 12 points in the first half and entered intermission ahead, 33-26.
Alexis Hyder led the Mean Green at the half with nine points. She came off the bench to post her second double-double of the season with 15 points and 12 rebounds. Hannah Christian came off the bench to tie a career high with 13 points.
North Texas opened the second half on a 14-6 run to take a 15-point lead, 47-32, at 10:29. The Mean Green was able to hold onto the double-digit lead the rest of the game.
North Texas shot 46 percent from the field and 46.7 percent from 3-point range. ODU was held to 30 percent shooting from the field.
Next up for North Texas
• North Texas takes to the road for a Saturday afternoon game at East Carolina on Feb. 15. Tip-off is set for 4 p.m.
Mean Green Quick Hitters
• North Texas wins the first meeting between the two teams.
• Alexis Hyder posted her second double-double of the season with 15 points and 12 rebounds.
• Briesha Wynn led all scorers with 17 points. It is her fourth straight game in double-figures. Fourteen of her 17 points were in the sec ond half.
• The Mean Green shot 46.7 percent from 3-point range, a season high.
• The 52 points scored by ODU was the lowest points they have scored against a conference opponent.
• Hannah Christian tied a career high with 13 points. It was her first game this season in double-figures.