Women's Basketball Ousted By Old Dominion
Wynn Posts Third Double-Double in 54-44 Loss
DENTON -- Despite a close game from beginning to end, North Texas was unable to keep up with the Lady Monarchs in the second half, as Old Dominion defeated the Mean Green, 54-44, on Saturday night in the Super Pit.
North Texas was behind Old Dominion 22-21 after the first half after scoring four points in the final 31 seconds. North Texas was able to keep up with Old Dominion for the entirety of the game, but only led once; 11-9 with 7:29 remaining in the first half. The largest lead for the Lady Monarchs was 10, which was the margin of victory as the final buzzer sounded.
"At the end of the day we've got to be able to make layups, put backs off the board and free throws," head coach Mike Petersen reiterated. "We're doing a good job generating those opportunities, but you just can't win a game at this level shooting what we did tonight."
Despite the loss, North Texas shot better from the field at 35.3-percent, higher than Old Dominion's 32.7-percent mark. The difference in the game was at the foul line, where the Lady Monarchs went 17-23 - including 16-21 in the second half - and the Mean Green went 5-9 overall. The Mean Green also struggled with turnovers, ending the game with a total of 21.
"We had some execution issues tonight, I thought their extended zone bothered us," Mike Petersen said. "They have good athletes and they're long and that bothered us some."
North Texas senior Briesha Wynn had a double-double, scoring a total of 13 points with 10 rebounds. BreAnna Dawkins and Terra Ellison scored nine points each, but none of the Mean Green were able to keep up with Old Dominion's Jennie Simms, who scored 22 points to lead all scorers.
Next up for North Texas:
- The Mean Green will be on the road for the next three games, beginning with Louisiana Tech on Thursday January 22 in Ruston, Louisiana. Tip off is set for 6:30 p.m.
Mean Green Quick Hitters:
- Wynn recorded her third double-double of the season and eighth of her career. Eboniey Jeter - vs. Northern Colorado - is the only other player on the team to have a double-double this season.
- North Texas now has a 2-14 overall record with a 1-4 Conference USA mark.
- After not allowing an opposing player to score 20+ points, two consecutive oppoents have. Simms with 22 today and Charlotte's Lefty Webster with 25 two days ago.
- Adams has now hit at least one three-pointer in seven consecutive games.
- Freshman Bria Frierson played a career-high 29 minutes, tied a career-high with five rebounds and made the second field goal of her collegiate career.