Dawkins Scores 15 Points In Mean Green Win
Women's Basketball Defeats Rice, 53-48
DENTON — BreAnna Dawkins hit two key jumpers in the final minutes of the game to lead the North Texas women's basketball team to a 53-48 victory against Rice on Saturday afternoon in the Super Pit. The win snapped a six-game losing streak by the Mean Green.
"I'm mostly happy for our players," said North Texas head coach Mike Petersen. "Players have a limited window. I want them to have a great experience and win games."
After trailing at the half, North Texas quickly gained the lead at the start of the second period with the aid of Dawkins. After being held scoreless in the first half, Dawkins scored eight of NT's first 10 points of the second stanza to give North Texas a 33-29 lead.
The Mean Green led by as many as eight points (37-29) in the second half, but Rice took its only lead of the game, 43-42, after the Owls went on a 5-0 run.
North Texas quickly took back the lead for good on the next possession. With a one-point lead, Dawkins hit a short jumper in front of the basket to give the Mean Green some breathing room, 46-43, at 3:03. After Rice cut the lead to one point again, Dawkins came through again with another pull-up at 1:07.
North Texas sealed the win with free-throws in the final minute.
Dawkins was joined in double-figures by Briesha Wynn (12) and Candice Adams (15). Adams hit two key 3-pointers in the first half, which opened up the game. Wynn played all 40 minutes, pulled down nine rebounds and recorded a career-high seven steals.
"This group has really come to work every day despite not getting rewarded," said Petersen. "We need to defend our home court. We need to validate this win with two good efforts next week."
Next up for North Texas
• North Texas continues its homestand with two games next week against Charlotte and Old Dominion.
Mean Green Quick Hitters
• Candice Adams tied a career high and made a season-high three 3-pointers in the game. She hit two in the opening six minutes of the game. She led the team at the half with eight points and finished with a team-high 15 points. The 15 points is a season high and is one point shy of tying a career high. It is her first game this season in double-figures.
• BreAnna Dawkins finished with 15 points, her fifth game this season in double-figures. The 15 points ties a seson high
•Rice took a 27-23 lead at the half after North Texas hit just 1-of-its last 8 field goals of the opening period. Megan Palmer hit a 40-ft 3-pointer at the buzzer to give Rice a four-point lead at the half.
• The last North Texas win came on Dec. 14
• This is the first home win this season for North Texas.
• North Texas held the advantage in field goal percentage (39.6), 3 point percentage (42.9), and free-throw percentage (66.7).