Field Filling Up For 22nd Don January Classic
The field is filling up for the 2012 Don January Golf Classic, but a few spots are available to play in the 22nd annual event, which takes place on Monday, April 2, and benefits North Texas Athletics.
The field is filling up for the University of North Texas Don January Golf Classic, but a few spots are still available to play in the 22nd annual event benefitting North Texas Athletics.
This year's Classic takes place on Monday, April 2, at Trophy Club Country Club. To play in this year's event, contact Matt Phillips at 940-369-8409.
Fifty teams and upwards of 250 golfers are expected this year. Among the participants confirmed for this year's Classic:
- Legendary golfer Don January, a member of the North Texas golf team that won four consecutive NCAA Division I titles from 1949 to 1952. January, who is in the North Texas Athletic Hall of Fame, won 10 PGA tour events including the 1967 PGA Championship;
- Movie star Burton Gilliam, best known for his roles in such films as Blazing Saddles, Back to the Future Part III and Thunderbolt and Lightfoot;
- Patrick Cobbs, NFL running back and the Mean Green's second-leading all-time rusher;
- Johnny Quinn, former NFL wide receiver, the Mean Green's all-time leader in pass receiving yards, and now a member of the U.S. National Bobsled Team and a hopeful for the 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi, Russia;
- Former Mean Green quarterbacks Scott Hall, Jason Mills and Mitch Maher,
- George Dunham, North Texas alum and co-host of the Dunham and Miller show on KTCK 1310 AM, The Ticket.
Also participating will be renowned long-driver Nyle Pruitt, who will hold a seminar prior to the Classic's start. Pruitt is a competitor in long-drive competitions and regularly tops 400 yards.
A contingent of North Texas coaches, athletes and administrators will play, including the North Texas men's and women's golf teams, the men's and women's golf coaches and athletic director Rick Villarreal.
The event's shotgun start is at 1:00. Player registration begins at 10 a.m. and the driving range and putting greens open at that time. Lunch will be served at 11 a.m., and dinner will be provided at 6 p.m. courtesy of Outback Steakhouse.
Entry fee for the event is $325 per person. To guarantee your spot in the Classic, call Matt Phillips at 940-369-8409.