Day 11 Notebook: Eight Different Players Find End Zone In Saturday Scrimmage
Wide Receiver Terian Goree Hauled In A Team-High Six Grabs And A Score At Apogee
DENTON – Exactly two weeks before the 2016 season opener at home against Metroplex rival SMU, North Texas held its third scrimmage of the fall camp Saturday afternoon at Apogee Stadium.
The veteran defensive unit has been impressing throughout camp and once again showed up big on Saturday. However, the offense flexed its depth with big plays by a number of weapons. Five different receivers made a catch Saturday, while five different running backs ran the ball. Four of the five receivers caught a touchdown pass and four running backs scored in the Mean Green’s revamped fast-paced, high-tempo offense.
On special teams the primary kick and punt returners were LA Valley College transfers Anthony Wyche and Eric Jenkins. Four quarterbacks, Alec Morris, Mason Fine, Devin O’Hara and Quinn Shanbour saw playing time.
The daily huddle break at the conclusion of the day was bestowed upon senior defensive lineman Jareid Combs, who had another solid afternoon.
Offensive Player of the Day: Wide Receiver Terian Goree
Goree, a redshirt sophomore out of Carthage, Texas, hauled in a team-high six catches Saturday, and caught a 20-yard touchdown pass from Alec Morris in the second half of the scrimmage.
Defensive Player of the Day: Defensive Back Ashton Preston
Preston, a sophomore from Edmond, Oklahoma, had the only interception of the scrimmage and also added a team-leading two pass break-ups. One of his pass break ups came in the end zone to halt a drive.
Play of the Day: Wide Receiver Kenny Buyers’ diving one-handed grab
Buyers, a redshirt senior who shifted to the position from cornerback during the offseason, had a one-handed diving catch down the middle of the field that drew cheers from his teammates on the sideline and the fans in attendance. Head here to watch Buyers break down his position switch.
• Sophomore running back Christian Hosley hasn’t had his name called a lot this camp, but Saturday the 5-foot-9 San Antonio native made a strong impression with tough hard-nosed runs on multiple occasions. He didn’t see any playing time until the second half of the scrimmage, but had two runs where he slipped by defenders and ran over linebackers on his way to considerable gains.
• Finishing just behind Goree with five catches was Goree’s high school teammate O’Keeron Rutherford. The 6-foot-5 receiver had a 10-yard touchdown catch from Morris early in the scrimmage.
• Junior running back Jeffrey Wilson recorded a 15-yard touchdown run up the middle late in the scrimmage.
• Running backs Nick Smith and Wyche both hauled in 16-yard touchdown catches on the day.
• Junior running back Willie Ivery also scored a touchdown.
• On the final drive of the scrimmage, Morris picked out freshman Tyler Wilson (Arilington), who made a tip-toeing grab along the sideline for a 12-yard gain on 4th and 10 to keep the drive alive. Morris then hit Smith for the score to close the afternoon out a few plays later.
Follow Mean Green football on social media throughout fall camp and the season. Get live updates during games on Twitter and Instagram @MeanGreenFB, or look for updates and photos at Facebook.com/MeanGreenFB. Go to MeanGreenSports.com for full game recaps and the latest news on the football program.