Day Nine Notebook: Offense Shines On Rainy Wednesday
The Mean Green Held Its Second Two-A-Days Session Of The Fall
DENTON – On a rainy Wednesday morning, North Texas hosted its second scrimmage of the fall camp during its second two-a-day session.
The Mean Green took to a rain-soaked field at Apogee Stadium, which added a new challenge for a team still grasping a brand new scheme on both offense and defense. The weather cleared up for a strong late afternoon session to cap off a busy day in Denton.
Offensive Player of the Day: Quarterback Alec Morris
On the first play of the scrimmage, Morris aired it out over the middle to an open Terian Goree for a 40-yard gain. Then on the offensive’s second possession, Morris again aired it out. This time the Allen native hit receiver Thaddeous Thompson deep over the middle for an 80-yard touchdown.
Defensive Player of the Day: Defensive Back Nate Brooks
Brooks was all over the field Wednesday. The sophomore from Whitehouse, Texas, had three pass break-ups and physically covered up some of North Texas’ top receivers.
Special Teams Player of the Day: Kicker Trevor Moore
Despite the rainy conditions, the junior kicker from Edmond, Oklahoma, made four of five field goals, including a 52-yard field goal facing the north end zone. The only kick Moore missed was a 54-yard attempt.
• Safety Kishawn McClain ran through a block and had a tackle for a big loss on a screen pass during the scrimmage.
• Punter Eric Keena drilled a punt from his own five-yard-line that went 63 yards in the air and then rolled another 16 yards for a 79-yard punt.
• Tight end Kelvin Smith hauled in a pass over the middle and then picked up some additional yardage after the catch for a 31-yard pick up.
• Senior linebacker Fred Scott blitzed up the middle of the line and broke through to stuff the running back for a loss and also force a fumble, which was recovered by the defense.
• Former Kilgore College receiver Garrett Barton blocked a punt during the scrimmage.
• Linebacker Cortney Finney of Bay City, Texas, had two strong, open-field tackles on running backs.
• Freshman quarterback Mason Fine found receiver O’Keeron Rutherford for a touchdown on a pass that was perfectly placed over Rutherford’s outside shoulder in the corner of the end zone. The 5-foot-11 Oklahoma born quarterback has connected with the 6-foot-5 Carthage, Texas, native receiver on several occasions during camp.
• Junior running back Jeffery Wilson continued his consistent camp with a pair of 15-yard scampers during the scrimmage.
• Freshman receiver Rico Bussey Jr. reeled in back-to-back one handed catches in the afternoon practice during one-on-one drills.
• Denton product John Schilleci had an interception on a deep pass that was underthrown along the sideline.
Follow Mean Green football on social media throughout fall camp and the season. Get live updates during games on Twitter and Instagram @MeanGreenFB, or look for updates and photos at Facebook.com/MeanGreenFB. Go to MeanGreenSports.com for full game recaps and the latest news on the football program.