Day Eight Notebook: Mean Joe Greene Makes Guest Appearance Tuesday
Running Backs Excelled On Day Eight
DENTON - With its most famous alum Mean Joe Greene watching on the sideline and giving the team pep talk afterward, North Texas completed its eighth fall camp practice Tuesday afternoon.
Following practice, head coach Seth Littrell spoke highly of his linebackers who have come a long way since the spring. Tuesday, the linebackers and defense continued to perform very well as they have the last few days until running backs Anthony Wyche and Andrew Tucker broke off a couple long touchdown runs to humble the lively defense.
Run of the Day: Wyche ran through and over defenders for a 35-yard touchdown run in an 11-on-11 drill. The Philadelphia native has had a couple long touchdown runs this fall camp and has really opened some eyes.
Pass of the Day: Freshman quarterback Mason Fine from Locust Grove, Oklahoma, executed a pump fake during 1-on-1 drills that froze a defender in his tracks and allowed his receiver to find a pocket in the middle of the field to catch a first-down pass.
Defensive Play of the Day: Cornerback Andrew Jones used his fist to punch the ball out of a receiver's hands after he had hauled in a deep pass. The redshirt sophomore from Mesquite, Texas, has been competing well throughout camp.
Video of Post-Practice Media Availability
Head Coach Seth Littrell
• Redshirt junior running back Andrew Tucker had a 40-yard touchdown run in 11-on-11 drills. His run was made possible by a huge hole opened up by offensive lineman Bernie Santos. Tucker, from Tyler, Texas, was basically untouched as he ran towards the end zone thanks largely in part to the Guyer High School graduate Santos.
• Junior defensive back Eric Jenkins from from LA Valley College participated in his first practice. Though he was non-contact on day one of his acclimation period, he saw considerable time as punt returner during special teams drills.
• Junior linebacker from Lewisville Calvin Minor recorded a sack Tuesday during the team session.
• Fellow Metroplex native T.J. Tauaalo from Keller had a tackle for a loss on a running play during 11-on-11's.
• Linebacker Cortney Finney reached over a receiver's shoulder to bat a pass away during team drills. The Bay City, Texas, native has had one of the most impressive camps of anyone.
Follow Mean Green football on social media throughout fall camp and the season. Get live updates during games on Twitter and Instagram @MeanGreenFB, or look for updates and photos at Facebook.com/MeanGreenFB. Go to MeanGreenSports.com for full game recaps and the latest news on the football program.