Day 12 Notebook: Mean Green Open Week Three
North Texas Held Practice In Apogee Stadium Monday
DENTON — The Mean Green football team was back at Apogee stadium on Monday for the team’s 12th practice of camp.
Monday’s practice was highlighted with a few high-energy special teams tackle drills that got the flowing on an overcast morning.
In one-on-one drills, the defensive backs made several pass break-ups, interceptions and strips.
• Baulkman (Bainbridge, Georgia) had two interceptions in the drill. One interception came off a tip and the second he stepped in front of the receiver near the end zone.
• After a receiver made the initial catch, Preston (Edmond, Oklahoma) swarmed in and punched the ball out of the receiver’s hands on what would have been a large gain.
• Similarly, a quick close on the receiver by Muhammad (Dallas) a few passes later allowed him to get his hand in around the receiver to break up the pass.
• Moore (Cedar Hill) made a diving tackle on a receiver and in the process punched the ball out of his hands to force a fumble.
• Brooks (Whitehouse, Texas) stepped in front of a would-be receiver on the goal line to intercept the pass. He was able to sprint ahead but lost his balance and fell out of bounds around the 10-yard line.
• Darden (Houston), a 5-foot-9-freshman slot receiver made a touchdown catch in the corner of the end zone after he faded away from the defensive back when he turned his head.
• Guyton (Allen), used his size in the open space to free himself from defenders and even stiff-armed a tackler out of his way so he could gain another 10 yards.
• In the team period, it was Darden and Guyton continuing to making plays. Darden caught a pass across the middle of the field from quarterback Quinn Shanbour (Oklahoma City). Darden then ran past all the defenders to score a 70-yard touchdown.
• Near the end of practice, it was again the defense making plays and it was again a defensive back coming up with the stop.
• On a goal line run from the offense, redshirt sophomore defensive back Taylor Robinson (Keller) met running back Nic Smith (Arlington) in mid-air as Smith tried to leap across the plane for a touchdown. Robinson was able to hold Smith back and prevent a touchdown.
• On the following play, the final play of the practice, the defensive line got a strong enough push and again prevented the running back from scoring.
The Mean Green return to the practice field Tuesday morning, which is just 18 days away from the 2017 season-opener.