Day Six Notebook: Big Plays Mark First Fall Scrimmage
Several Big Plays On Both Sides Of The Ball Were On Display At Apogee Saturday
DENTON -- Saturday's two-hour scrimmage at Apogee Stadium was the first of the 2016 fall camp for North Texas. Roughly three to four players per position played in the scrimmage that was fast-paced and high-tempo, and head coach Seth Littrell was pleased with the effort and execution by units on both sides of the ball.
Sunday marks an off day for the Mean Green concluding week one of #CampLitt. The team returns to the practice field on Monday afternoon.
Pass of the Day: Freshman quarterback Mason Fine (Locust Grove, Oklahoma) connected on a 65-yard touchdown pass to his former high school teammate and fellow freshman Jason Pirtle, who caught the ball in stride.
Defensive Play of the Day: Senior linebacker Cortney Finney (Bay City, Texas) jumped the receiver's curl route and picked off Fine near midfield for the only interception of the scrimmage.
Run of the Day: Sophomore Anthony Wyche (LA Valley College) continued his strong fall camp. He sent the offensive sideline into delirium when he ran over a Mean Green linebacker and then burst past the rest of the defense for a 35-yard score midway through the scrimmage.
• Three quarterbacks suited up and played in the scrimmage. Alabama transfer Alec Morris of Allen started, and was followed by junior Devin O'Hara (Arlington Heights, Illinois) and Mason Fine had nine possessions while Morris played eight and O'Hara six.
• Junior running back Jeffery Wilson (Elkhart, Texas) started in the backfield. Wyche also saw considerable playing time, while Andrew Tucker (Tyler), Willy Ivery (Sulphur Springs, Texas) and Nick Smith (Arlington) also carried the rock.
• Senior punter Eric Keena (Keller) had the most reps with the punt team. After a short opening possession, Keena booted his first punt for over 50 yards that was angled nicely to the sideline.
• The scrimmage's opening punt returner was Wyche. Ivery also saw time in that role.
• Receiver Willie Robinson (Fort Worth) broke a tackle on a short route along the sideline, shook a defender and scampered 56 yards for a touchdown.
• Early in the scrimmage, Ivery bounced off a couple defenders to pick up a 30-yard gain on the ground.
• 6-foot-5 reciever O'Keeron Rutherford (Carthage, Texas) used his size to jump over a defender and tip himself the ball along the sideline for a big first down pickup during the two-minute drill.
• The redshirt sophomore Rutherford also caught a ball over the middle after taking a huge hit from junior safety Kishawn McClain (Rosenburg, Texas).
• Freshman receiver Michael Lawrence continues to shine. Saturday the Sweetwater, Texas, native made a leaping touchdown catch before falling on his back.
Follow Mean Green football on social media throughout fall camp and the season. Get live updates during games on Twitter and Instagram @MeanGreenFB, or look for updates and photos at Facebook.com/MeanGreenFB. Go to MeanGreenSports.com for full game recaps and the latest news on the football program.