Scrimmage Notebook: Offense Continues To Grow
North Texas Held Its Second Scrimmage Of Fall Camp Saturday At Apogee Stadium
DENTON – The Mean Green held their second scrimmage of fall camp at Apogee Stadium Saturday. The offense continued to show improvement through the conclusion of week two.
Sunday marks an off-day for the Mean Green concluding week two of fall camp. The team returns to the practice field on Monday morning.
Play of the Day: Sophomore quarterback Mason Fine (Locust Grove, Oklahoma) put a 25-yard touchdown throw right on the money to redshirt sophomore receiver Jalen Guyton (Allen) across the middle. Fine was able to quickly read the play and accurately place the ball to hit Guyton in stride inside the five yard line, and Guyton easily found the end zone.
Defensive Play of the Day: On a fourth-and-three play, redshirt freshman linebacker Corey Mann (Decatur, Texas) and freshman defensive lineman Dion Novil (Abilene) met the running back in the backfield with a crunching hit, jarring it loose. Redshirt junior safety Nnamdi Umeakuana (Irving) followed suit with a scoop and score of about 75 yards.
• For the second consecutive week, four quarterbacks saw action in the scrimmage, though most of the reps went to Fine, who started the day, and Quinn Shanbour (Oklahoma City). Freshman Cade Pearson (Texarkana, Texas) and redshirt junior Devlin Isadore also took snaps on the day.
• Senior running back Jeffery Wilson (Elkhart, Texas) had a strong showing Saturday, featuring in both the run and pass game early on. Wilson took a swing pass from Fine on third-and-six on the opening drive and showed a great burst to pick up the first down on the right sideline.
• Wilson also picked up a fourth-and-short on that same drive with a powerful run between the tackles, that saw the offensive line get a strong push. Additionally in the early-going, Wilson picked up a 12-yard gain and a first down with a decisive cutback to the right side.
• Redshirt junior defensive back Cedric Fernandes (Arlington) came on a well-disguised blitz on third down to sack the quarterback.
• Fine began his day 9-for-12 with a touchdown and put together a strong scrimmage, finishing with a pair of scoring tosses. He threw a well-placed fade in the back left corner of the end zone to freshman wide receiver Greg White (Riverdale, Georgia) for the opening touchdown of the day, on a third down play.
• Third down success is a point of emphasis for the Mean Green following their 2016 performance in that area and on several possessions, showed improvement. Shanbour connected with freshman receiver Connor Howard (Austin) for a 16-yard gain over the middle of the field in a third-and-long situation.
• Additionally, Fine connected with senior Turner Smiley (Frisco) for a seven-yard pickup on third-and-five.
• Junior linebacker Colton McDonald (Haslet, Texas), who has seen his workload increase significantly with his strong showing in camp, picked up a third down sack to get the defense off the field.
• With the offense backed up inside its own two yard line, Tucker had a 20-yard run to pick up the first down and create some breathing room for the offense.
• Redshirt sophomore Jason Pirtle (Locust Grove, Oklahoma) made a sliding catch for a gain of about 15 yards on a nice throw on the run by Shanbour.
• Sophomore corner Jameel Moore had a pass-breakup on a ball thrown downfield in the second half of the scrimmage.
• Pearson bought some time and moved out of the pocket before firing a strike along the sideline to redshirt freshman Kam Duhon (Southlake) for an eight-yard pickup on first down.
• Isadore fired a touchdown pass on his first throw of the day, hitting redshirt junior receiver O’Keeron Rutherford (Carthage, Texas) right on the numbers on a five-yard slant in goal line drills.
• Redshirt junior linebacker Brandon Garner picked up a sack on the day, applying pressure from the weak side.
Follow Mean Green football on social media throughout fall camp and the season. Get live updates during games on Twitter and Instagram @MeanGreenFB, or look for updates and photos at Facebook.com/MeanGreenFB. Go to MeanGreenSports.com for full game recaps and the latest news on the football program.