Full Pads Fun - Friday Tweets & Treats
Tweets & Treats Full Pads Fun For Friday
In our efforts to bring you the best coverage of North Texas football, we will be giving you Tweets & Treats from around the Mean Green during fall camp (Mon., Wed., Fri.). Let us know if you want us to touch on anything specific, and enjoy this insider's take on the happenings around Apogee.
• Today will be the Mean Green’s first on the regular practice fields, and their first daytime practice of the fall. The last four practices have started at 8 p.m. and took place at Apogee Stadium under the lights. The weather might give the team a break too. Yesterday’s high temperature was a record 108 degrees, but today’s high was a balmy 97.
• Friday was the team's first day in full pads, and you know what that means - Circle Drill. The offense won today's edition of the Circle Drill, which pits an offensive and a defensive player in a 1-vs-1 showdown while the entire team surrounds the action and cheers. To say the least, it's quite a scene.
• In the first-year under head coach Dan McCarney North Texas averaged only 41.4 yards a game in penalties, which was the fewest penalty yards per game for a Mean Green team since 1999. Always the perfectionist, McCarney wants that tally even lower in 2012.
• Wednesday night Brandon McCoy (aka Sarge), ran off the practice field and into the locker room for about 10 minutes. When he came back out, he was back on the field to finish up the practice. The problem? A dislocated pinky. Didn’t bother him in the least bit and he was full speed last night. A guy who spent four years in the Army wasn’t going to let that stop him but for a few minutes.
• Brock Squier is having a hard time escaping out of his brother’s very small shadow early on in camp. A new nickname for Squier has emerged - Cowboy…..His brother Weston’s nickname? Cowboy.
• Marcus Trice (Jr., DB) – @begreat_8: Today's goal: Play with great eyes, great technique and great leverage. #BeGreat #GOG™
• Jeremy Phillips (Sr., LB) – @jphilican45: Blow up mattress in the locker room... It's a part of camp life pic.twitter.com/poKdPxIE
• Will Wright (Jr., LB) – @yung_smook: Late nights. Early Mornings.
• Former NT linebacker Craig Robertson – @C__Robertson47: Hearing good thing about the mean green during camp Gets me excited! @jphilican45 @ZO35 @BeGreat_8 @BByrd24@BO_Chancellor y’all keep ballin.
• Darius Terrell (Jr., WR) – @Dnt_Do_It_DT: Today Thursday ???? #CampLife
• Mike Marshall (So., DB) – @iicymoney: Fresh out the cold tub, legs feeling fresh for day 4 #RoadToSunbeltChamps
• Nicolas Summerfield (Sr., OL) – @ntironeagle: Spending my bday with my #MeanGreenFamily. Thanks for all the love guys! #CampLife
• Derrick Teegarden (So., WR) – @dteegarden12: Big day tomorrow. First day of full pads! Let's get after it boys. #MeanGreenNation #GMG