In our efforts to bring you the best coverage of North Texas football, we will be giving you Tweets & Treats from around the Mean Green during fall camp (Mon., Wed., Fri.). Let us know if you want us to touch on anything specific, and enjoy this insider's take on the happenings around Apogee.
• The fall’s first scrimmage, originally slated for early Saturday morning, simply wouldn’t work for a couple of Mean Green football players. Derek Thompson and Ryan Boutwell already had plans – walking across the stage for graduation. Both graduating a year early, Thompson and Boutwell mentioned it to a beaming Dan McCarney, who didn’t hesitate moving the scrimmage to accommodate the classroom standouts. Both will be starting grad school this fall.
• Separated at birth? Clearly freshman defensive back Devante Davis and former Ohio State basketball star Greg Oden were. Once the freshman mug shots are on the website, see for yourself, but here’s hoping Davis has better knees. Which last night he showed his leaping ability, with an interception during team drills. Davis had blanket coverage on the WR in the corner of the endzone and made a perfect read on a fade route for the pick.
• We mentioned the new walk-one punter and placekickers, but what about the guys who are snapping it to them. Sophomore Blake Dunham is the leading candidate to replace Troy Kokjohn as the deep snapper this season. Dunham has been virtually flawless the first three nights of practice. Tony Johnson is a walk-on from South Grand Prairie who will be vying for the deep snapping spot with Dunham in the fall camp.
• Rex Rollins and Brad Horton win the award for most courageous hair cut for freshman. Rollins is sporting a blonde Mo-hawk while Horton has the scruffiest look going with a shag carpet looking hair-do. Cooper Jones gets the bronze with a full on mullet.
• Mean Green Sports - @MeanGreenSports: 1s and 2s mixing in at secondary - same results either way. Defense looking like a blanket in pass defense. Tons of balls hitting the turf.
• Green Gang - @MeanGreenGang: TE Marcus Smith turned in a little shimmy-shake right, then left.....and left a lot of laundry from two defensive backs.
• Mean Green Sports - @MeanGreenSports: 11 vs 11 and finally in pads. Zach Orr spoils a pitch to the left for a 7 yard loss.
• Will Wright (Jr., LB) - @Yung_Smook: Pads today. If you play offense don't take it personal. #UNTfootball
• Jeremy Phillips (Sr., LB) - @jphilican45: Guess what I get to do today... Play football #blessed
• Konockus Sashington (So., RB) - @nockusashington: #CampLife Welcome to my bedroom (Trey Songz voice)! =/ lol #GMG instagr.am/p/OE1tWap3Hp/
• Derek Thompson (Jr., QB) - @derekthompson_7: Bedtime. Life of camp. #GMG up and at em in the morning. Night peeps
• Rex Rollins (Fr., DB) - @scb_bossman: Late night play book studying. Isn't this lovely!
• Marcus Trice (Jr., DB) - @begreat_8: I need a massage. Who got me?
• Mike Marshall (So., DB) - @iicymoney: In this cold tub getting my legs ready for day 2
• North Texas student Iyana Edouard - @Analovestwittuh: Can't wait for football season to start and for people to under estimate us. Just know #UNT is going to exceed expectation #meangreennation
• North Texas fan Chiraq Drillinois - @ms_michigan_ave: Looking forward to UNT football.... I know they are going to make me soooooo proud..... so who wants to hit LSU up wit me
• North Texas fan Rick Slade - @ricky0ntw1tter: I'm beyond pumped for football season to start #Eagles #MeanGreen