Day 7 Notebook: Newcomers Making Most Of Reps To Open Week Two
Freshman WR Jaelon Darden Caught A Pair Of Touchdowns In One-On-Ones Monday
DENTON — North Texas began week two of its fall camp Monday and once again saw positive contributions from several players.
In the first week, freshmen wide receivers Jaelon Darden (Houston) and Greg White (Riverdale, Georgia) have been impressive at times, participating in their first camp. On Monday, the two were back to making plays.
• White, a 6-foot-3 outside receiver, made a couple deep downfield catches Monday, each time going up to high-point the ball to secure the catch.
• Darden, a 5-foot-9 slot receiver, was targeted heavily on the day, and hauled in a couple of touchdown catches during red zone drills.
• Redshirt sophomore running back Christian Hosley (San Antonio) had an impressive 35-yard run after he made a cutback to avoid the defender.
• Freshman defensive back Jordan Roberts (Ardmore, Oklahoma) made a difficult pass break up on a deep ball along the sideline during team drills.
• Freshman running back Tre Siggers (Duncanville) used his strength to power through the Mean Green’s defensive line on a goal line play in the team period of practice. Siggers waited for a hole to open before he eventually dove across the plane for a short touchdown to conclude practice.
• Cade Pearson (Texarkana) showed off his arm strength on a completion to junior college transfer tight end Jamie King (Azle, Texas) in the corner of the end zone for a touchdown during the team period.
• Linebacker Brandon Garner (Mansfield) is entering his fourth year in Denton. On Monday, the redshirt junior had a forced fumble with a late strip of the ball carrier and followed that up with a great stick of a running back at the line of scrimmage moments later during team drills.
• Also in team drills, redshirt freshman running back Nic Smith (Arlington) made a decisive cut to the outside, squeezed through a tight hole and ran by four defenders on his way to the end zone for a long score.
• Redshirt freshman receiver Kam Duhon (Southlake) was a reliable target Monday, hauling in several catches throughout the day across a variety of drills.
The Mean Green return to the practice field at the Darrell R. Dickey Practice Facility Tuesday morning for their eighth practice of the fall.