Scrimmage Notebook: Quarterbacks Start Strong, Defensive Line Shines
North Texas Held Its First Scrimmage Of Fall Camp Saturday At Apogee Stadium
DENTON – Saturday marked the first scrimmage of fall camp at Apogee Stadium. The high-tempo scrimmage saw players getting plenty of reps in game scenarios and position groups that stood out were the quarterbacks early, who started the day 15-of-17, and the defensive line.
Sunday marks an off day for the Mean Green concluding week one of fall camp. The team returns to the practice field on Monday morning.
Play of the Day: Redshirt sophomore wide receiver Jalen Guyton (Allen) scored the first touchdown of the day after he took a short pass from Quinn Shanbour (Oklahoma City) and shook a defender in the open-field to find paydirt.
Defensive Play of the Day: Junior corner Nate Brooks jumped a route on the sideline to come up with the day’s only turnover, an interception that he returned down the sideline.
Run of the Day: Senior Jeffery Wilson (Elkhart, Texas) had an impressive touchdown run during the goal line portion of the scrimmage, heading to the left before reversing field to cut it back for a score.
• Four quarterbacks saw action in the scrimmage. Sophomore Mason Fine (Locust Grove, Oklahoma) began the day, while Shanbour also saw a lot of action. Freshman Cade Pearson (Texarkana, Texas) and redshirt junior Devlin Isadore also had a good amount of snaps on the day.
• Wilson started in the backfield for the Mean Green. Redshirt senior Andrew Tucker (Tyler), redshirt freshman Nic Smith (Arlington), junior Anthony Wyche (Philadelphia), sophomore Christian Hosley (San Antonio) and a pair of true freshman Tre Siggers (Duncanville) and Evan Johnson (Loranger, Louisiana) also carried the ball for North Texas.
• Fine began his day 10-for-13 and finished completing 14-of-21 passes with a touchdown. He also connected on a deep ball down the left side to freshman wide receiver Greg White (Riverdale, Georgia) to set the offense up in the red zone.
• White also made a big play on a deep ball thrown by Pearson for a gain of over 50 yards to set the offense up inside the five.
• Sophomore defensive end LaDarius Hamilton (Corrigan, Texas) was consistently applying pressure and he finished with a pair of sacks, including one early on fourth down.
• Shanbour completed eight of his first nine passes on the day, and finished well in the goal line portion of the scrimmage, with three touchdown passes during that drill.
• Early in the scrimmage, Tucker had a pair of powerful runs inside the tackles, gaining eight and nine yards, respectively on back-to-back carries.
• Senior kicker Trevor Moore (Edmond, Oklahoma) had a very strong day, converting all three of his field goal attempts, from 53, 34 and 31 yards out, respectively.
• Senior safety Kishawn McClain made a couple of nice plays on back-to-back snaps in the early going, breaking up a pass intended for redshirt junior Quinetin Jackson (Granite City, Illinois), and then making a big hit on Wilson near the sideline on a swing pass. He also picked up a sack coming on a blitz.
• Freshman defensive back Jordan Roberts (Ardmore, Oklahoma) had a pair of big hits on wide receiver screens.
• Redshirt sophomore defensive tackle Bryce English had an effective day, and like Hamilton, was consistently applying pressure. He also picked up a pair of sacks on the day, and recorded a few more tackles for short gains against the run.
• Redshirt freshman Jason Pirtle (Locust Grove, Oklahoma) made a difficult catch near the sideline on a well-placed ball by Shanbour over the safety in coverage. Pirtle also finished his day with a touchdown catch in the back right corner of the end zone, also on a pass from Shanbour, in goal line drills.
• Redshirt freshman Kam Duhon (Southlake, Texas) caught a touchdown pass from Shanbour on a slant in traffic towards the end of the scrimmage.
• Smith hauled in a touchdown reception on a wheel route that was dropped in nicely by Fine in the back left corner of the end zone.
• Johnson also scored on a short pass out of the backfield from Shanbour in goal line drills, making his way down the left sideline and stretching the ball across the goal line.
Follow Mean Green football on social media throughout fall camp and the season. Get live updates during games on Twitter and Instagram @MeanGreenFB, or look for updates and photos at Facebook.com/MeanGreenFB. Go to MeanGreenSports.com for full game recaps and the latest news on the football program.