Spring Practice Notebook: Day Four
North Texas Opened Week Two Of Spring Practices Monday
DENTON – The Mean Green kicked off week two of spring practice on a very windy Monday morning from the Darrell R. Dickey Practice Facility. North Texas is now in pads, bringing a new level of physicality to practice.
Catch of the Day: Redshirt sophomore wide receiver Jalen Guyton (Allen) made a tremendous catch during 11-on-11s, leaping to pull the ball away from his defender on a deep ball down the right sideline on a pass from sophomore quarterback Mason Fine (Locust Grove, Oklahoma). Guyton then maintained his balance and coasted into the end zone.
Defensive Play of the Day: Redshirt sophomore nose tackle Bryce English (DeSoto, Texas) and senior linebacker Calvin Minor (Lewisville) burst through the line during team drills to combine on a big hit on the running back for a loss of three on the play. Sophomore defensive end LaDarius Hamilton (Corrigan, Texas) played a big part in the play as well, paving the way for English and Minor to get penetration.
Pass of the Day: Freshman quarterback Cade Pearson (Texarkana, Texas) placed the ball perfectly on a dime about 25 yards downfield towards the sideline that was hauled in by senior wide receiver Turner Smiley (Frisco) for a long touchdown.
• Sophomore wide receiver Tyler Wilson (Arlington) made a leaping, one-handed grab during individuals that earned several plaudits from his teammates.
• Fellow sophomore receiver Rico Bussey, Jr. (Lawton, Oklahoma) had a very strong day, specifically during the individual period, making several difficult catches appear rather routine.
• Redshirt senior quarterback Quinn Shanbour (Oklahoma City) connected on a deep out with redshirt sophomore receiver Dennis Smith (San Antonio) that resulted in a touchdown in 7-on-7 drills.
• Redshirt junior quarterback Devlin Isadore (Houston) hit redshirt sophomore tight end Kelvin Smith (Spring, Texas) up the seam with a well-placed throw, as Smith made a diving catch for a gain of over 20 yards.
• Redshirt freshman receiver Kam Duhon (Southlake) made a very impressive catch in traffic during 7-on-7s, and then cut upfield to get behind the defense for a touchdown. He caught a strike from Pearson on a slant.
• Junior defensive back Nate Brooks (Whitehouse, Texas) broke up a pass over the middle that was intended for Kelvin Smith, as Brooks slid to break it up, nearly picking off the pass off his own deflection.
• Redshirt senior running back Andrew Tucker (Tyler) had a couple of good, hard runs up the middle for medium gains during the early portion of 11-on-11s.
• Redshirt sophomore running back Christian Hosley (San Antonio) made a decisive cut at the point of attack that led him untouched into the end zone in a goal line set during 11-on-11s.
• Redshirt freshman defensive end JoJo Ozougwu made his presence felt during 11-on-11s, and that culminated with a sack towards the end of the period.
• Sophomore safety Khairi Muhammad (DeSoto) made a brilliant play to break up a pass on a fade intended for Dennis Smith near the goal line towards the end of 11-on-11s.