Garner, Shanbour, Pearson Shine In Green-White Game
Linebacker Brandon Garner Has Nine Tackles, Breaks Up Four Passes In Spring Finale
DENTON - Linebacker Brandon Garner led a defense that recorded seven sacks, while quarterbacks Quinn Shanbour and Cade Pearson combined for 401 yards passing and three touchdowns in Saturday's Green-White spring football game at Apogee Stadium.
The contest wrapped up the Mean Green's spring practice.
The defense dominated the early going, allowing just a field goal through the first seven possessions of the game, and Garner seemed everywhere. The redshirt junior had nine tackles, two for loss, a fumble recovery and four passes broken up. Fellow linebacker Calvin Minor had two sacks, as did defensive lineman Bryce English, and defensive end Tillman Johnson had a sack, four tackles and two passes batted down.
But the offense got going in the second quarter, scoring a pair of touchdowns on passes from Shanbour and Mason Fine. Rico Bussey, Jr., who led all receivers with eight catches for 146 yards, scored the first TD on a 68-yard pass.
The offense scored five touchdowns, four through the air. The North Texas ground game, meanwhile, struggled all day, rushing for for 122 yards, 90 of which came on two plays.
Pearson, a true freshman from Texarkana, was impressive in completing 13-of-18 for 148 yards and a touchdown, a 61-yard score to Turner Smiley.
Shanbour, a redshirt junior, threw for 253 yards on 13-of-19 with two touchdowns. He also ran for a score on a 13-yard keeper.
• The game pitted the offense, in green, against the defense, in white. The final score, using a system that awards points for interceptions, sacks, consecutive first downs, plays of over 20 yards and other statistical minutiae, was Green 44, White 34.
• Redshirt junior linebacker Zack Bishop tied for the team lead in tackles with nine.
• Fine was 14-of-25 for 116 yards with a touchdown and one interception.
• Senior wide receiver Turner Smiley had four catches for 125 yards and a touchdown.
• Junior defensive back Nate Brooks broke up three passes and had four tackles.
• Senior defensive back Eric Jenkins had four tackles and an interception.
• Wide receiver Jalen Guyton had four receptions for 25 yards.
• Wide receiver Deion Hair-Griffin had one reception for 23 yards, good for a touchdown from Shanbour.
• Defensive lineman T.J. Tauaalo had four tackles, two for loss, including a sack.
• Defensive back Dee Baulkman had five tackles.
Summer conditioning leading to the start of pre-season practices in early August.