Mean Green Basketball Faces Delaware State Thursday
North Texas Sits At 4-4 On the Season
|North Texas men's basketball vs. Delaware State|
|Date | Time||Thursday, Dec. 8 | 7:00 p.m. CT|
|Location||Denton, TX | The Super Pit (10,500)|
|Stream||Conference USA TV ($)|
|Radio||MGRN - 88.1 KNTU-FM, 95.3 KHYI-FM - Dave Barnett (PxP), Hank Dickenson (Color),|
|Game Notes||North Texas ||
DENTON - The North Texas men’s basketball team will look to start a new winning streak against Delaware State on Thursday, Dec. 8 at 7 p.m. inside the Super Pit.
The Mean Green (4-4) had a three-game winning streak before suffering a 77-61 loss to metroplex rival UTA on Dec. 3. North Texas only trailed by four at halftime but a second half run gave the Mavericks a 16-point victory. Junior Jeremy Combs returned after missing the last four games and produced his 18th career double-double with 21 points and 12 rebounds. Combs came off the bench and was efficient from the field shooting 8-for-12.
In four games played, Combs leads the team in scoring at 13.5 points per game and rebounding at 7.0 per game. Senior Deckie Johnson has started all eight games, is second in scoring at 13.3 and leads the team with 14 three-pointers. Classmate J-Mychal Reese has played in seven games, is third on the team at 8.7 points and has dished out 29 assists.
The Mean Green have continued to improve their free throw shooting having posted 70.0 percent or better in six-straight games.
North Texas has four non-conference games remaining with three coming at the Super Pit. The Mean Green will open Conference USA action with five of the first seven games on the road starting at Charlotte Dec. 31 at 11 a.m.
About the Opponent: Delaware State
• This will be the second meeting between North Texas and Delaware State. The Mean Green lead the all-time series 1-0 after earning a 62-55 win on Nov. 19, 2014. North Texas was led by former standout Jordan Williams who scored 17 points. The Mean Green bench scored 30 points and held Delaware State to just nine.
• The Hornets are 2-7 on the season and have played seven-straight road games since Nov. 16. Delaware State has defeated Clarks Summitt 103-56 (Nov. 11) and earned a road win at St. John’s 79-72 on Nov. 29.
• Devin Morgan leads the team in scoring at 14.0 points per game and has hit 23 three-pointers this season. DeAndre Haywood is second on the team at 13.4 points per game and Kavon Waller is third at 11.2 per game.
• The Hornets have struggled with rebounding, having been out-rebounded by 9.1 per game. DeVaughn Mallory leads the team in rebounds per game (5.6), the only player averaging over 5.0 per game.
• In their last game, the Hornets fell at SMU 74-60 on Dec. 4. Delaware State only trailed by two at halftime but was outscored 42-30 in the second half. They also were out-rebounded 42-21.