Men's Basketball Faces Road Test At UT Arlington Thursday Night
Mean Green Looking For Road Win Against State Rival
|North Texas men's basketball at UT Arlington|
|Date | Time||Thursday, December 3 | 7:00 p.m. CT|
|Location||Arlington | College Park Center (7,000)|
|Live Stats||UTA GameTracker|
|Buy tickets||Ticket Central|
|Radio||MGRN - 88.1 KNTU-FM, 95.3 KHYI-FM - Dave Barnett (PxP), Hank Dickenson (Color),|
|Game Notes||North Texas|
DENTON --The North Texas men’s basketball team will make the short drive to Arlington to take on UT Arlington Thursday, Dec. 3 at 7 p.m. at the College Park Center.
North Texas is coming off a tough road loss at Northern Iowa, 93-70, on Nov. 30. The Mean Green finished the game shooting 51.9 percent from the field off 28-of-54 shots. NT had a 43-41 lead at halftime before the Panthers scored 52 second half points.
Sophomore Jeremy Combs leads the team in scoring at 15.5 points per game and has scored in double figures in five of the six games. Combs has pulled down a team leading 55 rebounds (9.2 per game) and sits seventh in the nation in field goal percentage at 68.6 percent. Junior J-Mychal Reese is coming off a career high 19 points against Northern Iowa and dished out six assists. Reese is second on the team in scoring at 13.7 points per game and leads the team with 22 assists.
Freshman Ja’Michael Brown scored 13 points off the bench against Northern Iowa off 5-of-10 shooting. Brown came away with a season high four steals and added three assists. Junior Deckie Johnson had nine points against the Panthers falling one point shy of scoring double figures in all six games.
As a team, North Texas is averaging 83.5 points per game and is 43rd nationally in scoring offense. The Mean Green are also 28th in the nation in field goal percentage at 50.0 percent.
The Mean Green will host Southern Illinois in a home and home series starting Saturday, Dec. 5 at 5 p.m. inside the Super Pit. Seven days later, North Texas will head to Carbondale, Illinois to face Southern Illinois again on the road.
About the Opponent: UT Arlington
• This will be the 54th meeting between the two in-state rivals with North Texas holding a 30-23 advantage.
• The teams haven’t met since Nov. 28, 2012 where UT Arlington defeated North Texas, 72-59 at the Super Pit. The Mavericks own a 7-3 record against North Texas in the last 10 meetings.
• UTA comes into the game with a 5-2 record, including two stellar victories on the road at Ohio State (W,73-68) and at Memphis (W, 68-64). The Mavericks are coming off a tough loss at Texas, 80-75, in overtime. The other loss came against C-USA member Louisiana Tech (L, 80-68) on the road on Nov. 17.
• The Mavericks are led by Kevin Hervey who is averaging 17.3 points per game and Erick Neal who is putting up 13.0 points per game. Hervey leads the team in rebounding at 10.0 boards a contest and Neal has hit 11 three pointers.
• Assistant coach for UT Arlington Kenneth Mangrum (1999-02) was a four-year player for North Texas.