Men's Basketball Set For DISD Matinee Against Texas College
Mean Green Host Texas College For Early Tip-Off
|North Texas men's basketball vs. Texas College|
|Date | Time||Wednesday, Nov. 30 | 11:30 a.m. CT|
|Location||Denton, TX | The Super Pit (10,500)|
|Stream||Conference USA TV ($)|
|Radio||MGRN - 88.1 KNTU-FM, 95.3 KHYI-FM - Dave Barnett (PxP), Hank Dickenson (Color),|
|Game Notes||North Texas|
DENTON -- The North Texas men's basketball team will host hundreds of Denton ISD students for an early contest against Texas College Wednesday, Nov. 30 at 11:30 a.m. inside the Super Pit.
The Mean Green (3-3) are coming off an 81-78 victory against Hartford on Nov. 27. North Texas held off the Hawks thanks to a clutch three-pointer from graduate student Derail Green with 19 seconds left. Freshman A.J. Lawson scored a career-high 17 points in his first start of the season and senior Deckie Johnson added 15.
Johnson continues to lead the team in scoring at 14.2 points per game and is second in assists with 15. Lawson is third on the team at 10.7 and senior J-Mychal Reese is fourth at 9.8 per game. Reese has started the last five games and is leading the team with 4.8 assists per contest.
North Texas has won two-straight home games and holds a 3-1 record at the Super Pit this season. The Mean Green have been improving their free throw shooting after hitting 70 percent or better in the last four games against Drexel, Rutgers, Niagara and Hartford.
North Texas has six games remaining in the non-conference schedule with five coming at home.
About the Opponent: Texas College
• North Texas is hosting hundreds of Denton ISD students at Wednesday's game in its continuing partnership with the school district. This will be the eighth DISD game held at the Super Pit. North Texas is a perfect 7-0 and has won every game by double digits.
Mean Green In DISD-Day Games
Date Opponent W/L Score
12/17/14 Langston W 78-65
12/17/13 Central Arkansas W 64-55
11/18/12 Huston-Tillotson W 98-51
11/12/10 Henderson St. W 92-66
12/2/09 Univ. of the Southwest W 91-62
12/28/07 Texas A&M-Intl. W 97-70
12/22/06 Jarvis Christian W 94-70
• This will be the second meeting between North Texas and Texas College. The first meeting came in Denton as the Mean Green won 110-61 on Nov. 16, 2015. Five players finished in double figures with Jeremy Combs leading the way with 18 points and six rebounds.
• Texas College plays in the Red River Athletic Conference and is 1-5 on the season. The Steers are coming off an 83-74 loss against Dillard on Nov. 28.
• Nathaniel Francis leads the team in scoring at 18.8 points per game. John Ruffin is second at 12.4 and Roy Shelton is third at 10.2.
• Ruffin leads the team in rebounding at 6.2 (31 total). Shelton is second at 5.2 rebounds per game.