Mean Green Welcome Niagara Friday Night
North Texas Plays Third Game Of Scarlet Knight Showcase
|North Texas men's basketball vs. Niagara|
|Date | Time||Friday, Nov. 25 | 7:00 p.m. CT|
|Location||Denton, TX | The Super Pit (10,500)|
|Stream||Conference USA TV ($)|
|Radio||MGRN - 88.1 KNTU-FM, 95.3 KHYI-FM - Hank Dickenson (PxP),|
|Game Notes||North Texas | Niagara|
DENTON – The North Texas men’s basketball team returns home to face Niagara in the third game of the Scarlet Knight showcase Friday, Nov. 25 at 7 p.m. inside the Super Pit.
The Mean Green hold a 1-3 record after a 66-53 loss on the road at Rutgers on Nov. 23. North Texas led the Scarlet Knights 25-24 at halftime but a second half rally proved to be too much. Junior Shane Temara led the team with 16 points off 4-of-8 from the three-point line. Senior Deckie Johnson added 13 points, seven rebounds and five assists.
Johnson leads the team in scoring at 13.8 points per game and has gone 23-for-26 from the free throw line. Freshman A.J. Lawson is third on the team at 8.0 points per game but was held to two points at Rutgers.
Senior J-Mychal Reese has started the last three games and leads the team with 4.6 assists per game. Reese had six points and four assists in the loss against the Scarlet Knights.
Sophomore center Rickey Brice Jr. leads the team in rebounding at 5.3 and has four blocks. Brice, Jr. earned his first start of the season at Rutgers but foul trouble led to only two points and three rebounds.
North Texas will have a special thanksgiving weekend ticket deal with $10 admission to any game on Nov. 25-27. Men’s basketball will host Niagara (Nov. 25) and Hartford (Nov. 27), while the women’s team will host Iona on Nov. 26.
About the Opponent: Niagara
• This will be the second meeting between North Texas and Niagara. The first meeting came in a neutral site game in Oklahoma City as the Mean Green defeated Niagara 83-72 on Dec. 26, 1974.
• The Purple Eagles started the season 0-4 before picking up its first win of the season at home against Drexel 93-74 on Nov. 23. Niagara lost to Buffalo (76-66), Brown University (88-79), Hartford (82-78 OT) and Rutgers (78-65).
• Junior guards Matt Scott and Kahlil Dukes lead the team in scoring. Scott is putting up 19.4 points per game off 11-of-23 from three-point land and Dukes is at 14.2 points per game with nine made three-pointers.
• Scott leads the team in rebounding at 6.6 rebounds per game and sophomore Dominic Robb is second at 6.4. Robb has recorded 14 blocks in five games.
• Niagara loves to shoot from downtown as five players have hit four or more three-pointers and have hit 12 more than the Mean Green (38-to-26).