Men's Basketball Resumes Home Slate Against Rogers State
North Texas Looks To Bounce Back After First Home Loss
|North Texas men's basketball vs. Rogers State|
|Date | Time||Wednesday, Nov. 22 | 7 p.m.|
|Location||Denton, TX |The Super Pit (10,500)|
|Radio||MGRN - 88.1 KNTU-FM, 95.3 KHYI-FM - Dave Barnett (PxP), Hank Dickenson (Color)|
|Game Notes||North Texas | Rogers State|
DENTON - The North Texas men’s basketball team dropped its first home game of the season and will host Rogers State in a quick turnaround on Wednesday, Nov. 22, at 7 p.m. at the Super Pit.
The Mean Green (2-2) lost their first home game after leading 35-30 and for most of the game against UT Rio Grande Valley on Monday, Nov. 20. North Texas shot a season-low 31.7 percent from the field and was 4-for-24 from the three-point line.
In the second half, UTRGV went on a massive 27-4 run to break the game open thanks to a 2-3 zone defense that North Texas couldn’t figure out.
Despite the off-shooting night, sophomore Ryan Woolridge continued his hot start to the season with a team-high 18 points and four rebounds. Woolridge leads the team in scoring at 17.8 points per game and has scored in double-figures in all four games. Sophomore A.J. Lawson earned his third career double-double with 10 points and 11 rebounds.
The Mean Green will get two opportunities to get better with the Hillcats on Wednesday and a road game at Georgia Tech on Friday, Nov. 24, at 3 p.m.
About the Opponent: Rogers State
• This will be the first meeting between Rogers State and North Texas. The game will be an exhibition for the Hillcats but will count as a real game for the Mean Green.
• Rogers State hired North Texas Vice President and Director of Athletics Wren Baker as their first Athletic Director and men’s basketball coach on Feb. 9, 2006. Baker went 20-11 in his first season, before giving up his coaching duties to concentrate on his administrative duties.
• As AD at Rogers State, Baker hired current head coach Justin Barkley, who was an assistant with the Hillcats from 2008-10, before being named head coach in 2011. Barkley, in seven seasons as head coach, has reached the 20-win plateau five times, including two of the last three seasons.
• The Hillcats are 4-1 with wins against Midwestern State (73-67), Northeastern State (62-54), Central Christian (100-45), and Southwestern Oklahoma State (97-77).
• Rogers State plays in the Division II Heartland Conference and were picked to finish fourth in the preseason poll.
• Baron Smith, Jr., leads the team in scoring at 16.6 points per game and Tate Turner is second at 12.4 points per game. Gage Loy leads the team in rebounding at 6.8 boards per game.