North Texas Faces UT Rio Grande Valley Monday Night
Mean Green Hope To Remain Undefeated At Home
|North Texas men's basketball vs. UT Rio Grande Valley|
|Date | Time||Monday, Nov. 20 | 7 p.m.|
|Location||Denton, TX |The Super Pit (10,500)|
|Radio||MGRN - 88.1 KNTU-FM, 95.3 KHYI-FM - Dave Barnett (PxP), Hank Dickenson (Color)|
|Game Notes||North Texas | UTRGV|
DENTON - The North Texas men's basketball team looks to open 2-0 in the Ramblin' Wreck Showcase in a home game against UT Rio Grande Valley on Monday, Nov. 20, at 7 p.m. at the Super Pit.
The Mean Green enter with a 2-1 record after earning a 90-78 win against Bethune-Cookman on Nov. 16. It was a bounce-back game for North Texas after dropping a road game at Nebraska on Nov. 13. Sophomore guard Roosevelt Smart scored a team-high 22 points, including 11-for-13 from the free throw line. Smart is averaging 22.5 points per game in two home victories this season.
In the win against the Wildcats, North Texas had four starters in double-figures with sophomore guard A.J. Lawson scoring a season-high 19 points. Lawson had scored eight points in two games before his 19-point outburst against Bethune-Cookman.
Sophomore point guard Ryan Woolridge continues his hot start to the season with 18 points, three assists, and four rebounds. Woolridge leads the team in scoring at 17.7 points per game and is third in rebounding at 5.7 boards per game.
North Texas will be tested with four games in seven days against UTRGV (Nov. 20), Rogers State (Nov. 22), at Georgia Tech (Nov. 24) and Grambling State (Nov. 27).
About the Opponent: UT Rio Grande Valley
• This will be the first meeting between the two teams since UT Rio Grande Valley changed their name from UT Pan American in 2015. UTPA leads the all-time series with a 13-9 record. The Mean Green have won four-straight. North Texas is 4-7 in games played in Denton dating back to 1977.
• In the last meeting, North Texas cruised to an 84-45 home win against UTPA on Feb. 15, 2006. Four North Texas players finished in double-figures, including Calvin Watson who had 11 points in 25 minutes.
• UT Rio Grande Valley is 2-2 on the season after falling 75-58 on the road at Texas State. UTRGV picked up a win against Bethune-Cookman 92- 74 and are 1-0 in the Ramblin' Wreck Showcase. UT Rio Grande Valley's only other win is a road win at Texas A&M Corpus Christi 82-75 in overtime.
• Senior guard Nick Dixon has started all four games and is leading the team in scoring at 22.5 points per game. Dixon is also tied for the team lead with 10 offensive rebounds. Xavier McDaniel, Jr., is second on the team at 12.8 points per game.
• Dixon is 33-for-41 at the free throw line in four games and as a team are shooting 91-for-129, 70.5 percent. UTRGV has taken 104 three-pointers, averaging 25 attempts per game.