Men’s Basketball Faces Tough Road Test At Texas Tech
Tip-Off Set For 6:30 On Fox Sports Southwest Plus
|North Texas men's basketball at Texas Tech|
|Date | Time||Tuesday, Nov. 15 | 7:00 p.m. CT|
|Location||Lubbock, TX | United Supermarkets Arena (15,098)|
|TV||Fox Sports Southwest +|
|Radio||MGRN - 88.1 KNTU-FM, 95.3 KHYI-FM - Dave Barnett (PxP), Hank Dickenson (color)|
|Game Notes||North Texas ||
DENTON -- The North Texas men’s basketball team will travel to Lubbock, Texas for a road matchup against Big 12 member Texas Tech Tuesday night at 6:30 p.m. inside the United Supermarkets Arena.
The Mean Green enter the game with a 1-0 record after defeating Sul Ross State, 85-77, on Nov. 11. Senior Deckie Johnson led the team with 23 points off three-of-six shooting and was a perfect 16-for-16 from the free throw line.
North Texas finished the game shooting 54.0 percent (27-of-50) and hit seven three-pointers against the Lobos. Sophomore Ja’Michael Brown added 13 points after hitting three-of-four from downtown. Freshman A.J. Lawson provided a spark off the bench with 14 points, two assists and three rebounds. Sophomore Rickey Brice, Jr., added 12 points, a team-leading eight rebound and two blocks.
Here are some notes heading into the game.
Chasing 1,000 Career Points - Junior Jeremy Combs sits at 780 points after scoring nine points in the season opener and is hoping to become the 22nd member of the North Texas 1,000 points club. Senior J-Mychal Reese should also join the club sitting at 711 points that includes two seasons at Texas A&M.
North Texas Career Scoring Club
Rk Pts Player Years
20 1,012 Deon Hunter 1986-89
21 1,002 David Vasher 1978-82
22 996 Rubin Russell 1965-67
23 990 David Burns 1962-65
24 968 Delonte Taylor 1980-82
25 954 Pat Kelley 1950-53
26 932 George Udufuwa 2009-11
- 780 Jeremy Combs 2014-Pres.
- 711 J-Mychal Reese* 2015-Pres.
*- Includes two-seasons at Texas-A&M
Tony Benford Returns To Lubbock Part II - Head coach Tony Benford, a four-year letterwinner at Texas Tech from 1983-86, makes his second trip back. Benford wore No. 34, scored 1,009 career points (35th all-time) and played in 121 games played (6th all-time). He led the Red Raiders to the 1986 Southwest Conference title earning tournament MVP honors.
About the Opponent: Texas Tech
• This will be the 18th meeting between North Texas and Texas Tech. The first meeting came in a neutral site game on Dec. 20, 1946.
• In the last meeting, Texas Tech defeated North Texas, 60-45, Dec. 29, 2014 in Lubbock. The Mean Green were only down four at halftime but a 2-of-18 effort from the three-point line hurt them. Former standout Jordan Williams had 20 points. Jeremy Combs (five points) and Greg White-Pittman (two points) will be returning for a rematch.
• Texas Tech is 1-0 on the season after a 93-67 victory at home against Houston Baptist on Nov. 11. Keenan Evans led the team with 28 points. Five players finished in double figures to tip-off the debut of head coach Chris Beard (Head coach at Arkansas Little Rock last season).
• The Red Raiders are 6-1 all-time against North Texas in games played in Lubbock. Texas Tech finished with a 19-13 record (NCAA Tournament berth), including 14-3 at home last season.