Men's Basketball Team Lands Notre Dame Transfer Eric Katenda
Fifth-Year Forward Transferring from Notre Dame To North Texas
DENTON -- North Texas men's basketball head coach Tony Benford has announced the signing of fifth-year former Notre Dame forward Eric Katenda.
Katenda will be eligible right away after graduating from Notre Dame in the spring and has one-year eligibility remaining.
"We feel fortunate to have Eric join our program," Benford said. "He has great character, is a winner, tough and has tremendous ability. Eric is athletic, rebounds, defends and is very skilled. He was part of a top-20 program at Notre Dame and has been well coached."
Katenda grew up in Paris, France before coming to the United States in the fall of 2008 for prep school. He began his career at Cheshire Academy in Connecticut before finishing his final high school season at Sunrise Christian Academy in Bel Aire, Kansas. He averaged 15.5 points, 7.2 rebounds and three blocks per game as a senior leading his team to a 24-4 record. Katenda was ranked by ESPNU as the No. 27 ranked power forward in the 2011 class and was the MVP of the National Association of Christian Athletes (NACA) national championship.
"Eric was highly recruited out of high school," Benford added. "However, he had a few setbacks along the way. He is now fully healthy and we expect him to make an immediate impact in our program on and off the court."
Katenda, a 6-9 power forward, played through some setbacks throughout his time at Notre Dame but did play in 15 games during his senior season in 2014-15. He played in 32 minutes, scoring 13 points and grabbed seven rebounds last season.
"I have so much respect for Eric," Notre Dame head coach Mike Brey said. "He battled so many physical setbacks but never felt sorry for himself. He is healthy now and will really help the North Texas team."
Katenda will join a group of eight newcomers for the Mean Green this fall hoping to improve on a 14-17 overall record in 2014-15.
"I am really excited for this new opportunity," Katenda said. "I am looking forward to getting out there with the team and start working hard."
North Texas' 2015-16 Newcomers
• Rickey Brice -- 7-0 -- 260 -- Center -- Arlington, Texas (Pantego Christian)
• JaMichael Brown -- 6-1 -- 190 -- Guard -- San Antonio, Texas (Pro-Vision Academy)
• J-Mychal Reece -- 6-1 -- 180 -- Guard -- Bryan, Texas (Texas A&M)
• Deckie Johnson -- 6-4 -- 175 -- Guard -- Memphis, Tenn. (Angelina College)
• Allante Holston -- 6-7 -- 185 -- Guard -- Upper Marlboro, Md. (West Oaks Academy FL)
• Khalil Fuller -- 6-9 -- 250 -- Forward -- Moreno Valley, Calif. (West Oaks Academy FL)
• Mike Thomas -- 6-11 -- 225 -- Center -- Ville Platte, La. (Kilgore College)
• Eric Katenda -- 6-9 -- 240 -- Forward -- Paris, France (Notre Dame)