Men's Hoops Signs Big Man Khalil Fuller
6-8 Forward Brings Interior Presence To Rebuilding Frontcourt
DENTON - North Texas head basketball coach Tony Benford has announced the addition of 6-8 forward Khalil Fuller to the roster for the 2015-16 season.
"Khalil is a tremendous addition to our 2015 recruiting class," Benford said. "He has great character, he is a winner and he comes from a wonderful family. He's a versatile post that can score inside and outside, and he's a relentless rebounder. We think he has the ability and toughness to make an immediate impact in our program."
Hailing from Moreno Valley, California - about an hour east of Los Angeles - Fuller played his high school ball at Rancho Verde High School before attending West Oaks Academy, an elite basketball prep school in Orlando, Florida. While at West Oaks, Fuller was a double-double machine that averaged about 14 points and 11 rebounds per game.
Fuller will join West Oaks teammate and fellow North Texas signee Tay Holston as a freshman on the Mean Green roster next year. Each will bring with them four years of college eligibility after getting their starts in a prep school environment.
The California native joins Conference USA All-Freshman standout Jeremy Combs and seven-foot signee Rickey Brice as available options for a North Texas frontcourt that hopes to replace graduated seniors Colin Voss and Armani Flannigan.
"Our fans are going to love watching him play," Benford added. "He's just one of what I think is the best class we have signed in my tenure, especially when you add an experienced point guard like J-Mychal Reese to the group."
In addition to bringing on Fuller, it was announced that Muhammed Ahmed will not be returning to the team next season.
"Muhammed Ahmed is no longer with our program," Benford said. "We wish him the best in all of his future endeavors."
North Texas' 2015-16 Newcomers
• Rickey Brice -- 7-0 -- 260 -- Center -- Arlington, Texas (Pantego Christian)
• JaMichael Brown -- 6-1 -- 190 -- Guard -- San Antonio, Texas (Pro-Vision Academy)
• J-Mychal Reece -- 6-1 -- 180 -- Guard -- Bryan, Texas (Texas A&M)
• Deckie Johnson -- 6-4 -- 175 -- Guard -- Memphis, Tenn. (Angelina College)
• Allante Holston -- 6-7 -- 185 -- Guard -- Upper Marlboro, Md. (West Oaks Academy FL)
• Khalil Fuller -- 6-9 -- 250 -- Forward -- Moreno Valley, Calif. (West Oaks Academy FL)