Senior Night Highlights Home Finale Against UTEP
Mean Green Looking To Continue Momentum Towards C-USA Tournament
|North Texas men's basketball vs. UTEP|
|Date | Time||Saturday, March 3 | 5 p.m.|
|Location||Denton, TX | The Super Pit|
|Radio||MGRN - 88.1 KNTU-FM, 95.3 KHYI-FM - Dave Barnett (PxP), Hank Dickenson (Color)|
|Game Notes||North Texas | UTEP|
DENTON – The North Texas men’s basketball team will honor its two seniors in Shane Temara and Bryce Jackson before taking on UTEP in the C-USA regular season finale Saturday, March 3, at 5 p.m. at the Super Pit.
Temara has played in 57 games, starting 33 for North Texas and Jackson has played in 28 games. Temara is coming off a solid game against UTSA, scoring 12 points in a start. Jackson, a two-year walk-on from Keller, Texas has played in eight games this season.
The Mean Green (15-15, 8-9 C-USA) could finish as high as No. 6 in the upcoming C-USA Championships hosted in Frisco. North Texas is currently tied for seventh place with FIU but is just one game behind UAB and holds the head-to-head tiebreaker with the Blazers.
North Texas snapped a five-game losing streak with a dominant 18-point win against UTSA on March 1. The Mean Green hit 12 three-pointers against the Roadrunners thanks to 10 from DJ Draper (6) and Roosevelt Smart (4). Draper went 6-for-7 and Smart hit four in a row to fuel a 16-0 run in the second half to blow open the game.
Smart leads the team in scoring at 18.9 points per game and has hit a school record 108 three-pointers, which is sixth-best in the nation. Smart also is 32 points away from scoring 600 points in a single-season. Sophomore Ryan Woolridge is second on the team in scoring at 12.9 points per game and leads the team in assists with 166, which is 37th nationally. Woolridge is six assists away from securing the second most assists in school history for a single season.
The Mean Green are chasing the school record for most three-pointers made as a team with 242 and are eight away from tying the 250 mark that was set by the 1997-98 team.
About the Opponent: UTEP
• This will be the 13th meeting between the two teams with UTEP leading 9-3. North Texas has never won at the Super Pit against UTEP with their only home win coming on Dec. 16, 1952 in the “Snake Pit”.
• In the previous meeting, North Texas survived a late run by the Miners in a 63-62 win in El Paso on Dec. 28, 2017, to start the Conference season 1-0. It was the first win at the Don Haskins Center for the Mean Green. Roosevelt Smart scored a game-high 29 points. Shane Temara added 14 points. UTEP’s Matt Willms had 11 points and eight rebounds.
• In the last meeting in Denton, UTEP edged North Texas in overtime 77-71 on Feb. 16, 2017. The Miners Dominic Artis took over in OT and finished with 19 points. Derail Green hit seven three-pointers to finish with 21 points. Ryan Woolridge fell one assist shy of a triple-double with 15 points, 11 rebounds and nine assists.
• UTEP enters with a 10-19 overall record and is 5-12 in Conference Play. The Miners are in a win or go home type game currently in the 12th spot for the C-USA tournament. With a win, UTEP clinches a spot but a loss would give Rice an opportunity to sneak in with a win against UTSA.
• Omega Harris leads the team in scoring at 11.6 points per game and has hit 42 three-pointers. Isiah Osborne is third in scoring at 9.3 points per game and has hit 38 three-pointers. Matt Willms is tied with Paul Thomas for the team lead in rebounds at 5.4 per game.
• UTEP dropped its last game on the road at Rice, 76-70 on March 1. The Miners are 3-2 in their last five games. UTEP has struggled on the road going 1-7 in C-USA games.