Stretch Run For North Texas Starts Against UTEP On beIN Sports
North Texas To Host Four-Straight Home Games
|North Texas men's basketball vs. UTEP|
|Date | Time||Thursday, Feb. 16 | 7:00 p.m.|
|Location||Denton, TX | The Super Pit (10,500)|
|Stream||beIN Sports network - Mike Gleason (PXP), Jason Capel (Color), Andrea Cespedes|
|Radio||MGRN - 88.1 KNTU-FM, 95.3 KHYI-FM - Dave Barnett (PxP), Hank Dickenson (Color)|
|Game Notes||North Texas | UTEP|
DENTON – The North Texas men’s basketball team returns home for a critical four-game home stand beginning with UTEP on Thursday, Feb. 16 at 7 p.m. on the beIN sports network at the Super Pit.
Calling the action on beIN Sports will be broadcaster Mike Gleason joined by color analyst Jason Capel, and sideline reporter Andrea Cespedes.
The Mean Green (7-17, 1-11 C-USA) split the weekend road trip in Florida earning a 70-64 win against Florida Atlantic and falling to FIU 90-71 last Saturday. Freshman guard Ryan Woolridge earned Conference USA Freshman of the Week after averaging 13.5 points per game, including tying his career high with 21 points at FIU. North Texas has received back-to-back weekly Freshman of The Week honors after A.J. Lawson was honored last week.
Six games remain in the C-USA season with four games coming at the Super Pit. North Texas (1-11) sits in 14th place but is only three games back of the 11th and 12 seeds Southern Miss (4-9) and Florida Atlantic (4-8).
Freshman guard A.J. Lawson leads the team and C-USA freshmen in scoring at 11.1 points per game. Senior guard J-Mychal Reese sits second in scoring at 10.3 points per game and leads the team in assists at 3.4 per game (77 total). Woolridge is fourth in scoring at 9.5 points per game in 15 games played.
North Texas has been banged up from injuries this season ranking fifth in the nation with 74 total games missed from scholarship players.
The Mean Green have hit 16 three-pointers during the first three games of the 3-point challenge. We are bringing back the 3-Point Challenge and we are hoping you will join this exciting initiative and pledge your donations for every 3-Point shot our team makes during the 3-Point Challenge campaign, Feb. 1 – March 5.
The campaign is fun and easy to get involved in. Just go to pledgeit.org/cvc-north-texas and make your pledge today. Help our school become a 3-Point Challenge champion over other rival schools and help save lives from cancer at the same time by raising donations for 3-pointers during games. Go to 3pointchallenge.org to find out where North Texas ranks nationally.
The Coaches vs. Cancer program makes it fun and easy to get and stay involved. All proceeds help the American Cancer Society save lives and celebrate life. Every single day. For additional information contact email@example.com.
2017 C-USA Basketball All-Session Tickets are now available. UAB will again be hosting the Conference Tournament from March 8th-11th, 2017. The Men's Tournament will take place at the Legacy Arena at the BJCC. The Women's First Round and Quarterfinals will be held at Bartow Arena with the Semifinals and Finals at Legacy Arena.
Ticket prices for the Men's Tournament are:
• $250 for Premium Reserved. Sections 8,9,24 & 25, Rows A - F.
• $180 for Side Court Reserved
• $100 for Baseline Reserved (Lower Level behind the end lines)
All Session tickets include all 6 sessions at Legacy Arena as well as the Women's 1st round and quarterfinals at Bartow Arena. All Tickets will be allocated by priority beginning December 30th. For additional information or to purchase all-session tournament tickets please call the UAB Athletics Ticket Office at 205-975-8221.
About the Opponent: UTEP
• This will be the 11th meeting between the two teams. UTEP leads the all-time series with an 8-2 record, and is 3-1 in Denton. The Miners have won eight-straight games in the series.
• In the last meeting, North Texas held a one-point lead late but was outscored 14-4 in the final four minutes falling 84-75 at UTEP on Jan 3, 2016. Jeremy Combs finished with 20 points and grabbed a career-high 19 rebounds. J-Mychal Reese had 17 points and dished out a career-high nine assists.
• In the previous meeting at the Super Pit, UTEP dominated defensively with a 74-54 win against North Texas. Alzee Williams had 15 points and Jordan Williams finished with a double-double (13 points, 11 rebounds). The Mean Green shot just 25.8 percent (17-of-66).
• The Miners enter with a 9-15 overall record and are 7-5 in Conference USA games. UTEP has won seven of its last nine C-USA contests. The Miners are 1-4 on the road during league play.
• Junior guard Omega Harris leads the team in scoring at 16.9 points per game (eighth in C-USA) and has hit 35 three-pointers, second most on the team. Senior guard Dominic Artis is second in scoring at 15 points per game and has a team-best 146 assists.
• UTEP is fourth in the C-USA in scoring defense, allowing 68.4 points per game.