Mean Green Ready For Home Game Against Old Dominion Saturday
North Texas Coaches Continue Suits & Sneakers Week
|North Texas men's basketball vs. Old Dominion|
|Date | Time||Saturday, Jan. 28 | 2:00 p.m.|
|Location||Denton, TX | The Super Pit (10,500)|
|Stream||Conference USA TV ($)|
|Radio||MGRN - 88.1 KNTU-FM, 95.3 KHYI-FM - Dave Barnett (PxP), Hank Dickenson (Color)|
|Game Notes||North Texas | Old Dominion|
DENTON – The North Texas men’s basketball team will face Old Dominion for the second time this season on Saturday, Jan. 28 at 2 p.m. inside the Super Pit.
The Mean Green (6-14, 0-8 C-USA) held a 14-point halftime lead but Charlotte rallied to outscore the Mean Green 53-38 in the second half. The 49ers trailed by four 74-70 before hitting 12-of-12 from the foul line in the last two minutes. Freshman guard A.J. Lawson started the game 0-5 from the field before finishing with his first career double-double (23 points, 12 rebounds). Lawson set career highs in points (23), rebounds (12) and free throws made (6). Senior guard J-Mychal Reese hit two three-pointers late and had 16 points.
Lawson leads the team in scoring at 10.5 points per game and has scored a team-best 209 points. Senior guard J-Mychal Reese sits third in scoring at 9.5 points per game and leads the team in assists at 3.5 per game (68 total). Classmate Deckie Johnson has played in the last three games and is fourth on the team in scoring at 8.7 per game.
North Texas shot the ball well from the 3-point line against Charlotte going 10-for-22 (45.5. percent). It was the second time this season that the Mean Green have hit 10 or more three-pointers.
North Texas will be participating in the Coaches vs. Cancer Suits and Sneakers week from Jan. 23-29, 2017. The initiative is a nationwide event that unites coaches across the country to raise awareness about the American Cancer Society's lifesaving mission, and promote the American Cancer Society as a place for help and support. While coaching games during the week, coaches wear sneakers with their game attire as a visible reminder about the importance of nutrition and physical activity in reducing cancer risk. Help saves lives and support Coaches vs. Cancer Suits and Sneakers week.
2017 C-USA Basketball All-Session Tickets are now available. UAB will again be hosting the Conference Tournament from March 8th-11th, 2017. The Men's Tournament will take place at the Legacy Arena at the BJCC. The Women's First Round and Quarterfinals will be held at Bartow Arena with the Semifinals and Finals at Legacy Arena.
Ticket prices for the Men's Tournament are:
• $250 for Premium Reserved. Sections 8,9,24 & 25, Rows A - F.
• $180 for Side Court Reserved
• $100 for Baseline Reserved (Lower Level behind the end lines)
All Session tickets include all 6 sessions at Legacy Arena as well as the Women's 1st round and quarterfinals at Bartow Arena. All Tickets will be allocated by priority beginning December 30th. For additional information or to purchase all-session tournament tickets please call the UAB Athletics Ticket Office at 205-975-8221.
About the Opponent: Old Dominion
• This will be the seventh meeting between the two teams. Old Dominion leads the all-time series with a 6-0 record, including three wins at the Super Pit.
• In the last meeting, North Texas struggled to score in a defensive battle that ended with ODU winning 55-48. Senior guard J-Mychal Reese had 12 points and graduate student Derail Green added 12 points.
• In the previous meeting at the Super Pit, North Texas lost to ODU 76-70 after former Monarch Trey Freeman scored a game-high 24 points. Deckie Johnson led the Mean Green with 18 points and seven rebounds.
• The Monarchs are 12-8 overall and 5-3 in Conference USA games. ODU snapped a two-game losing streak with an 80-72 victory at Rice on Jan. 26. ODU had five players in double figures with Brandan Stith scoring 18 points and 11 rebounds off the bench.
• Sophomore guard Ahmad Caver has started all 20 games and leads the team in scoring at 12.7 points per game. Caver has hit a team-best 40 three-pointers. Zoran Talley is second in scoring at 12.6 points per game.
• Old Dominion is second in Conference USA in rebounding at 40.3 rebounds per game. The Monarchs do most of their damage on the offensive glass sitting sixth in the nation in offensive rebounds (12.6 per game).