Mean Green Return Home For Key C-USA Contests
North Texas Starts Three-Game Home Stand Thursday
|North Texas men's basketball vs. Florida Atlantic|
|Date | Time||Thursday, Jan. 25 | 7 p.m.|
|Location||Denton, TX | The Super Pit (10,500)|
|Stream||ESPN3 - John Liddle (PxP), Kyle Youmans (Color)|
|Radio||MGRN - 88.1 KNTU-FM, 95.3 KHYI-FM - Dave Barnett (PxP), Hank Dickenson (Color)|
|Game Notes||North Texas | Florida Atlantic|
DENTON – The North Texas men’s basketball team finally returns home to host Florida Atlantic on Thursday, Jan. 25, at 7 p.m. at the Super Pit.
The game will be streamed on ESPN3 with John Liddle providing play-by-play duties and Kyle Youmans as the color analyst.
The Mean Green (10-10, 3-4 C-USA) are currently tied for seventh in the C-USA standings with UTSA, FIU and Florida Atlantic. North Texas will face both Florida schools this week for a chance to create some distance in the league standings. Last week, North Texas lost both games on the road at LA Tech (66-65) and at Southern Miss (85-78).
Sophomore Roosevelt Smart continues to have a stellar season for the Mean Green after scoring 23 points at LA Tech and 18 against the Golden Eagles. Smart leads the C-USA with 75 three-pointers, which is fifth nationally. Smart is just 15 three-pointers away from tying the school record for a single-season set by Calvin Watson in 2006-07.
Sophomore Ryan Woolridge is second on the team in scoring at 12.6 points per game and leads the team in assists with 116, ranked 26th in the nation. During Conference play, Woolridge is second in assists with 53 and is just one behind Marshall’s Jon Elmore. Woolridge is averaging 36.4 minutes per game and is 43rd in the nation in total minutes played at 728.
The Mean Green have been getting more bench production in the last couple of games and outscored Southern Miss 30-to-15 in bench points last week. Junior Tope Arikawe is coming off a career-high 13 points and grabbed a career-high 12 rebounds in the loss at Southern Miss.
About the Opponent: Florida Atlantic
• This will be the 15th meeting between the two teams with North Texas holding an 11-3 record and is 5-1 at the Super Pit. The Mean Green have won six-straight in the series.
• Last season, North Texas defeated Florida Atlantic, 70-64, on the road in Boca Raton on Feb. 9, 2017. Senior guard J-Mychal Reese scored a game-high 21 points, including 14 in the second half. Shane Temara added 18 points in the road win. The win snapped a 16-game road losing streak.
• In the last meeting in Denton, North Texas won 70-62 on Feb. 20, 2016 behind J-Mychal Reese, Jeremy Combs and Deckie Johnson’s combined 50 points. Johnson led the way with 19 points, Reese had 14 and Combs scored 17 points.
• Florida Atlantic enters the game with a 9-10 overall record and is tied with North Texas in Conference play at 3-4. The Owls are 2-1 on the road in C-USA play having earned a Texas sweep at UTEP (73-66) and at UTSA (73-69) two weeks ago. FAU is coming off a 73-62 home loss against ODU.
• Senior Justin Massey leads the team in scoring at 13.3 points per game. Massey is fourth in three-pointers made during C-USA play with 20 in seven games. Senior Ronald Delph is second in scoring at 13.2 points per game and leads the team in rebounding at 9.1 boards per game. Delph is third in the C-USA in rebounding.
• FAU is fourth in the league in scoring defense only allowing 69.0 points per game.