North Texas (11-8, 2-3 C-USA) vs. MTSU (12-7, 2-2 C-USA)
Saturday, Jan. 25, 2014 • 7 p.m. (Central)
Denton, Texas • The Super Pit (10,500)
Radio: MGRN - 88.1 KNTU-FM, 95.3 KHYI-FM
Webcast: MeanGreenSports.com/AllAccess ($)
NCAA RPI (1/23): NT - 172, MTSU - 125
Series: MTSU leads 11-6 • Last: L 72-64, 1/24/13, in Denton
Game 20 - Middle Tennessee
DENTON, Texas – Get your picture taken with the Heart of Dallas Bowl trophy and cheer your Mean Green basketball team to victory on Saturday night against Middle Tennessee.
The HOD trophy will be in attendance through halftime, and fans are encouraged to get their picture taken with the trophy.
Head coach Tony Benford and NT are also hosting Youth Uniform Night, where all youth basketball players in their jerseys will receive complimentary admission. Additional tickets for family members and companions start at just $7. Redeem your free youth uniform ticket for admission at any gate of the Super Pit.
North Texas Basketball Story Lines
- Stellar defense was once again the story for North Texas in the win over UAB. NT held the Blazers to 18.4 percent shooting in the second half, and pulled away for a 76-65 win. Over the last nine games, NT has held its opponents to 39.0 percent shooting and 66.4 points.
- The win over UAB on Thursday gives Tony Benford a 23-28 (45.1 percent) mark at NT. That win percentage moves him ahead of North Texas Hall of Famer Jimmy Gales on the NT coaching charts.
- Jordan Williams scored 16 points against UAB to give him 889 career points, which ties him for 30th in NT history. Williams is averaging 15.0 points per game after the turn of the new year for his career, and ranks 6th in C-USA with 15.8 points per league game.
- Alzee Williams led NT with 18 points in the win over UAB, which moved him past his former teammate George Odufuwa on the career scoring charts. The senior now has 948 career points, which ranks 24th in school history.
- Middle Tennessee’s Tweety Knight ranks 3rd in C-USA with 2.21 steals per game, and is 4th in assists at 4.63 per outing. In league play only, the senior leads C-USA with 3.0 steals.
- Few teams in the country take care of the basketball like MTSU. The Blue Raiders rank 2nd in the league and 35th in the country with a +2.89 turnover margin, and their 1.16 assist/turnover ratio ranks 4th in C-USA and 85th in the NCAA. In conference play, Kerry Hammonds leads the league in assist/turnover ratio with an insane mark of 12.0.