North Texas had a big turnout of Denton ISD elementary students to Tuesday's game against Central Arkansas.
Box Score: NT 64 UCA 55
North Texas Season Stats
DENTON, TX - Colin Voss's first double-double of his career ignited the North Texas men to a 64-55 victory over Central Arkansas Tuesday afternoon at the Super Pit.
The Mean Green trailed, 46-43, with 8:56 to play before out-scoring the Bears 21-9 to finish the game, led by the 6-7 forward Voss, who scored 10 of his season-high 13 points in the final nine minutes of the game - six of them from the free-throw line - to go along with a game-high 11 rebounds.
"Colin is a heady player, and he's a tough kid," North Texas coach Tony Benford said. "The thing we have to do is get better movement on offense and get those big guys touches. Colin is a guy who can score inside, he was active on the backboard, and he can make free throws."
Central Arkansas not only stayed close throughout the first half but went up, 17-16, with 7:04 to play. North Texas, which had no player score more than four points in the opening half, finally got clear of the Bears with five minutes left when Alzee Williams's three-pointer gave the Mean Green a 27-19 lead./p>
The North Texas lead topped out at 10 points, 37-27, on a Jordan Williams's three-pointer at 17:35 of the second half before Central Arkansas stormed back. The Bears out-scored North Texas 15-3 in the next six minutes to take a 42-40 lead, and in the process drew several fouls that had Central Arkansas shooting the bonus for the final 10:59 of the game.
But the Mean Green got a bucket from Alzee Williams to stop the bleeding, then got a clutch three-pointer from T.J. Taylor retake the lead for good at 49-48. Alzee Williams and Taylor both finished with 10 points, and Jordan Williams also scored in double figures with 11.
• Offense was hard to come by in the first half, as the teams combined to hit 18 of 50 shots. No North Texas player scored more than four points.
• After shooting hitting just 55 percent of their free throws in the last two games, North Texas was good on 10-of-12 attempts in the first half Tuesday, an 83-percent rate, then finished the game with a 73 percent effort on 22-of-30 from the line.
• The Mean Green dominated the glass in the first half, out-rebounding the Bears 21-12. For the game, North Texas held a 43-28 advantage.
• Chris Jones, who is day-to-day with a back strain, remained out for North Texas Tuesday.
• North Texas did not have a player in double-figure scoring until Jordan Williams scored with 5:11 to play to give him 11 points for the game.
In the second game of a doubleheader at the Super Pit, the North Texas men host Wayland Baptist at 3 p.m. Saturday, Dec. 21. The Mean Green women open the twinbill at noon against SMU.